Repro/Sticker: Reprolabels back in the Custom Stickers business!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Delta Star, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just wanted to share this with Radicons first. Please don't post this elsewhere - we'll post a general update soon for others to see.

We'll soon be making the announcement that we're offering custom stickers again.

Here are the terms:

1) Archive sets: These are sets already commissioned by other customers. No extra design fee is needed to order these sets. If something catches your eye, you only need to cover the printing and postage costs. Check out a list of custom sets we've already commissioned here: http://reprolabels.com/archive.html

2) Custom recolors. Commission your own simple recolor! Find a set on Reprolabels.com, and we will make the color changes you request. Simply provide a list of colors to change (e.g. Change red to black, silver to white, etc...). This option costs an additional $10, but this is only a one-time fee. For instance, you pay only $10 even if you need two copies of your recolor.

3) Minor redesigns. As above, but allows you to ask for minor graphics changes, such as swapped faction symbols, or adding or changing text. Cut lines cannot be changed with this option. The set-up cost is a one-time $20 surcharge for minor redesigns.

4) Completely new designs. Design fee starts at $50 and goes up from there, depending on your needs. Contact Reprolabels to find out how to get your completely original sticker design created. As with all custom sets printed by Reprolabels.com, we reserve the right to make all designs available to other customers.

5) Customer-supplied artwork (must be produced by a graphic designer). $15 set-up fee applies. Designers: You supply original VECTOR art made in Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator. We will not accept any responsibility for accuracy of cut lines - they will be as you draw them. Please keep the number of colors to a mimimum (under 8 would be ideal). Cut lines grouped as 1 object. Valid colors include white (for transparent labels), silver, chrome, gold, and any standard spot color (no color matching). There may be other requirements - we will ask for changes to your document if needed. Printing costs are extra, and are calculated based on size of document. Ask for a quote on printing before submitting jobs.

Attached Files:

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

On the customer supplied designs, are you going to make those available to everyone as well?

3. Delta Star

News Credits:
    EDIT: Actually, I have no choice. What if someone submits a design I was going to do anyway?

I will have no choice but to make it policy - we will offer all designs to other customers.

If the design is not something to be shared, it should not be submitted.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Delta, the more reprolabels makes is the merrier the customs and TF toy community is I've always believed :thumb 

5. Delta Star

News Credits:
    You are SOOO drunk!

6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I got one word for this, WWWOOOOOOO!!!!! Yep I'm excited I do have some ideas, but right now I have some other business, but once I get to it I'll send you a pm or email you. Thanks for the update.

7. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome. Can't wait to get my order.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    What is the turnaround time on a custom order?

9. Delta Star

News Credits:
    Depends on the job. Simple color swap - about two weeks including shipping.

Totally new design could be 2 months.

10. Boggs6ft7

Here is the scenario I'm thinking. I design something, pay you the $15 plus the printing cost to get it done and then its offered up to other customers for less? I'm all for helping out the fan community, but it just seems backwards if that is the case.

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Got to admit, I see the logic in Boggs' point. I'm not sure how else you'd do it, but while I can see why you'd charge the fee for designing someone else's idea, it does seem odd that we'd still pay extra for doing the design work ourselves.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    me too.
    If I spend 4 hours making a design, then Reprolabels offers this to be available to the public, I should get a cut of the profit every time you sell and make money off my graphics...

Not to be be nasty, but I don't believe in paying a company to take my work from me, then profit from it.

I have no problem supplying art if I know I will be compensated (somehow) for supplying it.

13. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You and a lot of others on here are extremely talented artists and should be compensated for your commissions. However in this offer, you are asking them to do a commission, not the other way around. Like Delta said, if you don't agree to sharing it, don't submit. I understand completely where he is coming from.

"Here is my art, please make stickers of a quality that would be near impossible for me to do on my own. To prevent you from getting into any kind of copyright lawsuits that would prevent you from ever doing this offer again, go ahead and make them available to the public."

Seems straight forward.

I'm sure Repro isn't trying to profit unethically from anyone's intellectual property. Like he said, what if he was designing something for the site on his own and then I commissioned something very similar to what he was working on? He couldn't sell his work on the site since I would come back to him and say "That's my stuff, what are you doing?" and all his previous effort is wasted and that avenue of sales is closed.

I think that some kind of acknowledgment of the original designer would be proper, but this seems like a good deal. If you don't like the terms, explore other avenues.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I see where you are coming from, but typically in any market like this, if you supply the middle man something then they use it, they would at least throw you a bone, right?

I would have no problem creating sets and giving them to Delta in exchange for those sets being printed (which is the easy part if you have the proper tools) building the vector based graphics is the time sink. I did a set of sticker which took more than 5 hours of design on illustrator.

Most designers charge minimum $75.00 per hour for graphics....

15. Boggs6ft7

My problem isn't so much with the intellectual property or even being compensated. It would be having to pay more for a sticker set that I design than others that come after me that buy the same design.

I realize that problems can arise if it was something Delta was going to design anyways. I don't have a solution for this. Reprolables has to do what is in the best interest for them.

I want to make it clear that I love Reprolables and what they have done for the community, especially customizers.

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh. It basically means that if you wait for someone else to design it, you can get it cheaper... :p 

17. Delta Star

News Credits:
    I know - it's a downside. Almost seems like you'd be better to wait for someone else to pay the $15.

Still, how do you stop this scenario?... I am about to release a great new sticker set, which everyone needs and is happy I'm going to make. Right before I release it, someone submits the same concept as a custom design. Then I suddenly can't release the set to the public because the customizer owns it. Everyone loses.

There's no perfect solution, is there? Let me know if there's a third option - I'm all ears.

18. Delta Star

News Credits:
    I don't think Boggs was disputing the set-up fee. It takes time to set up a brand new print job. I think he was wondering why someone else would have access to the same design without paying for it.

I agree with Boggs - it does suck that Reprolabels can't offer to protect the graphics, but we just can't. The $15 set-up is obvious though - we can't print an original design for the same price as one we already set-up before.

19. Delta Star

News Credits:
    That really, really WOULD suck.... hmmm... what if, before you create the design, you ask around and see who else is interested? If a lot of people want the stickers, maybe ask them to front the costs?

It's not perfect, but it's one possible solution.

I want to post some of the finer points of this conversation at Reprolabels.com. Please help me work this out, because I'm not happy with any of the options so far!

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    just a suggestion, but if the set is worthy of continued sales, repro compensates that artist with a free set of that sticker.

i am weighing the compensation against repro's charge for creating a set.

4) Completely new designs. Design fee starts at $50 and goes up from there, depending on your needs. Contact Reprolabels to find out how to get your completely original sticker design created. As with all custom sets printed by Reprolabels.com, we reserve the right to make all designs available to other customers.