Customs: reprolabels and old sticker removal

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Orodruin, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just ordered a few things from Reprolabels. Replacement stickers for Scourge and Brainstorm, plus stuff for 3 WSTs. My little problem is that my Scourge and Brainstorm still have the original stickers on them, so my question is this: I'm assuming it's best to remove the old ones first, right? And more importantly, what's a good way to do that? I'll probably grab some goo-gone or something to get the old glue off, but what about the sticker itself? Should I just use a razor blade or something?

2. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I use lighter fluid and a cotton ball to remove stickers. I have stripped stickers from many figures this way and I have never noticed any damage caused from the lighter fluid. I also use it when I remove price stickers from boxes and cards.

Mike

3. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I usually disassemble the toy and spray the sticker remover ( I use bumper sticker remover found at automotive shops). Let the solvent work on the sticker for a few minutes, and then the sticker should lift by itself as little or no scraping should be necessary.

4. Omega Magnus

Omega Magnus Gorillabot

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I try to peel as much of the sticker and paper backing off of the toy as I can with my fingernails, and then I use Skin so Soft and a Q-tip to get the left over gunk off. It's best to let it soak into the adhesive for a minute or so, and then it wipes right off. Only thing is that Skin so Soft is a bit oily, so its best to wipe down he toy with a damp rag after removing the stickers with it so that the new ones will adhere. I've never seen any damage result in my toys when using this product, but I fuckin hate the smell of it. I might give MikeTSI's lighter fluid method a try...

5. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    goo gone is pretty safe. i have used it on several transformers. but not on transparent plastics. i have heard about people damaging transparents with it. IMO, i think they were confusing goof off with goo gone. goof off will eat plastic in a heartbeat. what i'm normally doing when i'm removing stickers is dismantling the figure into as many parts as it will go and washing the figures in warm to hot soapy water after removing stickers and residue. works like a charm for me. now my devastator and abominus need repros badly lol. but they're clean as new and don't have any crappy old stickers or residue on them anymore. that would be my best suggestion so that there are no oils left to destroy or harm the new stickers you would be putting on. best of luck to you, the satisfaction of completing these types of projects is amazing to me.

6. Icebergman

Icebergman Well-Known Member

I'd say use a Q-tip with some hot water and get the sticker wet enough to loosen the paper. you should be able to rub most of the paper off with your finger then go for the goo-gone for the adhesive.

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No, they didn't confuse Good Off and Goo Gone. Goo Gone will indeed cloud clear plastics. I found this out the hard way when cleaning up my G2 Sideswipe to apply the Decepticon version Reprolabels. Not only did it eat the black paint right off the clear parts, it clouded them too.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting ideas. I'll probably try the lighter fluid since I think I have some somewhere. Thanks for all the ideas!

9. Carl

Carl Length and/or Girth

I've always used WD40 to get sticky stuff off, but have never tried it on any Transformers...