Reproduction tech specs makes specs for Omnibots, Reflector...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Omnus, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

Aragon? = Eragon + Aragorn. Fantasy Lit mashup FTW.

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those names are from their continental European Diaclone/kron release.

-ZacWilliam, I'd guess BBTS has been skimming a wiki...

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    BBTS aren't making these, it's Atomic Laser who are doing them. But cool they are looking to established names, I did not know that was where they came from.

5. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    As a tech spec collector I will definitely be adding these to my collection. Atomic Laser should do more of these, cover all the characters who never got tech specs, not redo all the ones currently out there.

6. Andre

Andre Autobot Guardian

News Credits:
    I'm getting these because I have Reflector, the red Omnibot, and the "Cromar" Powerdasher. So, the tech spec set is worthwhile for me.

7. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

FYI -These were originally only available as a special mail order offer direct from Atomic Laser. You sent in your order (special order form was in the 1985 TSC sets) along with Atomic Laser points to order them, similar to the way you got the toys these specs are based on back in '85.

The offer expired the end of last month, so now the only way to obtain them is from BBTS.

Speaking of toys that never got a proper spec...Bruticus is included in the TSC 86v1 set.

8. C. Wallace

Everyone at Atomic Laser are die hard fans and collectors. Info for the Powerdasher names actually came their respective collections. :) 

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope we start seeing the ones for later years...

10. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Would you guys consider doing another "specials" set that included ones for say Abominus, Predaking, Slamdance, Dreadwing, etc?

The only reason I ask is because I collect tech specs and put them in display books for future enjoyment. I'm sure you produce an excellent reproduction product, but I really don't have a place for it as I don't want two of every tech spec produced (original and repo). However, if like with this set you were to produce techs for figures that never got them and bundle them in a set I would be highly interested. Although I do see the logic in only offering them with your current sets as an incentive.

11. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I went ahead and got the 1984 set to try it out. I wasn't sure about it at first, but upon receiving it and looking it over I found that I liked it a lot. I'm already planning to put these in a binder for easier reading. Good stuff. Now if we could just get the boxart and battle art released.

12. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I'm loving these sets.

I do wonder if we'll see tech specs or at least bio cards developed for later generations as well? I would love to see some of the toy years that were not given specs/bios given full bio cards by a third party like this.

13. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just bought a set off of Ebay! Im hoping they will do the combiners cassettes, Bruticus, Abominus & Dreadwing. I wont mimd if they did a color version of Predaking & Monstructor.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  14. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Even so, I'm not sure why I should care about their efforts anymore than, say, my own fan stuff (which at least does have about as much canonical basis):

Camshaft
    Overdrive

(I know I had one for Downshift, too, back in the day. And there was another fan who did this kind of thing for the Powerdashers and Reflector. The only difference, I imagine, would be the new (old?) names. But hardly worth paying money for.)

((There's another guy out there, who I won't name so as not to be insulting, who used to do these, too, but I always thought his work was pretty pathetic, and nowhere near as close to the actual G1 style.))

15. C. Wallace

Here are some tidbits from the higher ups.

More mail away offers in the future. ;) 

Bruticus and Predaking are included in the 86 V1 & V2 sets respectively.

Another item that may interest spec collectors...we are developing a storage binder that will work with both vintage and repro specs.

Large format commander set was just released, cards are about 4"x17"

1'x4' banners also a possibility

Future years are being developed.

16. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:

So the storage binder will hold all the bigger tech specs like Fort Max & Metroplex?

17. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Anyone know where to still get the Mail-Order tech specs set? I just found out about these and purchased the others sets but only need the Mail-Order one now.

18. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

YES on that battle art. If someone would make posters out of them, I would stare at them endlessly.

19. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

The old box art was epic. Would be great to have an actual book that reproduced each of the original character art, one to a page. Maybe include the tech specs text too. Just something large scale to make it easier to appreciate the full size art without having to dig out individual boxes.

20. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Hmm. Ya know that is a distinct possibility. I own a bunch of box art transparencies, and there are a bunch of collectors out there with them. I restored a bunch for Botch a while back. They were scanned on a drum scanner. The megatron file i have is like 24 inches high at 1200 dpi. You could blow it up to the size of a billboard without losing detail. As many as i know people out there own, there are still a ton missing, especially the battle scenes. I have never seen battle scene or Japanese exclusive box art transparencies. Maybe Hasbro has them. I work for a printer have hook ups with book publishers. Hell, if i could source all the art and get the license i would put that book together for fun and publish it. Actually never mind, I've been down that road already. Im sure someone would love to do it. Should be a money maker.