Customs: Repro'd Parts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by BScorpinok75, Mar 25, 2012.

1. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I was just wondering what are my options when it comes to purchasing repro'd parts? Where can I get some done that Darkov is not taking on work currently?

2. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also something I'm interested in. Could make a lot of custom work a lot easier, but I don't think there's many people on tfw that are willing to cast parts for others.

3. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i have taken on a few of these type jobs, just dont have a lot of the requested parts

the problem is im not interested in doing repo parts as much as customs and its hard to find a cost balance since the mold is a one or 2 time use.

4. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Indeed. I've concluded that I'm simply going to have to invest in casting materials and learning how to do it myself, so I can simply repro any parts I acquire that need to be duplicated.

5. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

From my amateur attempts, let me attest to Megatron31 and say there is a huge disparity in regards to costs vs returns. Unless you have a lot of it lying around, plan on plunking down a lot of money for supplies - if you plan on doing it right. The service that Darkov did was spectacular but let me tell you how much is involved.

If you plan on any clear or transparent color parts, you're going to need a pressure pot/vacuum chamber. I've wasted so much resin with bubbles or venting issues (which is why my wfc prime rifle thread hasn't been touched since last March) but you will pretty much not be able to get rid of all the bubbles without one. Besides, for quality casts in general, you should use one. Probably $100-300 depending on the size.

Silicon for the molding and the Resin for casting is about $25 per 2 lb/pint batches, depending on your supplier or product/type. Casting small parts shouldn't be too bad, since you wouldn't have a large area to fill, but larger pieces could use up most of that silicon on a single mold. And, like Megatron31 said, you'll use that for a couple times and that's it. If you're like me or most people, you'll probably end up going through a lot while you're learning. Trial and error, mistakes, etc.

Once you've got it nailed down, then maybe you can start making some of that money back but doing it for people. But you'll need to find a reasonable price people would be willing to pay for all of that. Especially, if someone asks you for a part you'd only be casting for them.

So, you could just spend $50 for silicon and resin, get some clay from a hobby store and use some legos or leftover planks of wood for your base/walls and get started. Just keep in mind it's going to be a lot more than that in the long run. =)

6. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    ^^ That is alot to consider especially for one time usage.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Right, which is why those who have made repro parts generally make parts on a fairly larger scale since it's cheaper and more efficient.

8. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Definitely something to keep in mind.