Heavy/Scratch: Repro Ravage Rocket

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Rodentus prime, Sep 13, 2016.

  1. Rodentus prime

    Rodentus prime Old Git

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    Posts:
    6,183
    News Credits:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    282
    Location:
    Hants, UK
    Likes:
    +2,870
    A member on the boards was saying they were looking for extra rockets for TR Ravage which reminded me that my G1 ravage was also missing one so I thought 'I have a 3d printer now, I'll try making a replacement'. Out came the trusty digital calipers to get measurements and after modelling, test printing and tweaking I think it came out fairly well. If I keep making stuff I really must learn how to paint it though...
    Modeled in Sketchup, printed in ABS on a Flashforge Dreamer.

    ravmiss.jpg ravmissslice.jpg
    2016-09-13 13.57.11.jpg 2016-09-13 13.56.05.jpg
     
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BScorpinok75

    BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    Posts:
    21,934
    Trophy Points:
    347
    Location:
    In the darkness...
    Likes:
    +1,169
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Pretty neat...
     
  3. FortMax123

    FortMax123 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2016
    Posts:
    2,098
    News Credits:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    222
    Location:
    England, UK
    Likes:
    +686
    Cool. Obviously, it would look better with some paint. Great work though
     
  4. Tresob

    Tresob Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    Posts:
    4,247
    News Credits:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    222
    Likes:
    +903
    Good job!

    I'm curious how you combined the little "bubbles" on the rocket's nose. I usually try to make sure the model is solid/watertight...but intersecting two curved shapes is always a real pain in the tookus for me on Sketchup. (My approach would have been to make an oval-shaped spheroid and dropped it on a dome, but then I'd end up chipping away at the part of the spheroid on the inside of the dome. Sketchup usually can't figure out how to distinguish between the two sides of the spheriod when I use the intersect tool. I sometimes get better results blowing the object up very large, doing the intersection, removing the internal planes, and then shrinking it back down again. I hope that made sense.)
     
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DJ kevintron

    DJ kevintron Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    Posts:
    137
    News Credits:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    67
    Likes:
    +33
    Ebay:
    Most impressive, excellent work!
     
  6. Rodentus prime

    Rodentus prime Old Git

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    Posts:
    6,183
    News Credits:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    282
    Location:
    Hants, UK
    Likes:
    +2,870
    Yes, same as your approach - that bit was a pain - basically I did have to enlarge everything, intersect, remove the excess and then shrink it again, even then while it was watertight I fixed some ugly geometry by hand to tidy it.
    I put the .stl files up here.
     
  7. Tresob

    Tresob Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    Posts:
    4,247
    News Credits:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    222
    Likes:
    +903
    Gotcha. I keep hoping there will be a less tedious way to go about this in Sketchup. It slows down the creative process so much.

    But you got great-looking results all the same!
     

Share This Page