Customs: Replacing the head LED on Leader Class ROTF Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by anubis20, Jun 6, 2012.

1. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Leader Prime LED Replacement

Hello,
    This tutorial is for replacing the LED in Leader Class Optimus Prime. I have done this on my ROTF, Buster, and Striker prime and its pretty flawless. Many thanks to encline for the original idea and his video. Which can be seen here:

eNcline desigNs How 2's: Changing REVENGE OF THE FALLEN OPTIMUS PRIME'S HEAD LED - YouTube

Now onto the tutorial :D 

1. Gather you supplies:

- 3mm LED
    - Soldering iron
    - Flux paste
    - Solder

Most of this stuff can be found at Radio Shack with the exception of the 3mm LED which I got from ebay for like $5 for 50 LEDS.

[​IMG]

2. Unscrew the back of Prime’s head and take it apart. After you take the screws off you just pry them apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lift up the chest pieces so theyre out of the way. I sometimes take them off completely.

[​IMG]

4. Tilt the red piece forward with the LED and you’ll see a screw. Unscrew that and now the 2 siver pieces under the red LED holder can come apart. Be very careful as you have to pry the 2 silver parts with a bit of force.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Once the little red piece is out just pry it apart. It separates with little force.

[​IMG]

6. Inside youll notice the LED one contact is covered with a black sleeve. What I do is cut through this sleeve with an exacto knife and take it off to expose the contact on the LED.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cut off the old LED right right above the old solder points. This ensures you don’t have to use wire strippers on the already short wires and you also have some left over solder that will help you attach the new one.

[​IMG]

8. Afterwards test you new LED just touch the contact points on the wire to the LED. If it doesn’t work turn it around. Once it light ups I grab a black sharpie and mark the wire from the LED that will go to the black wire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Solder your new LED and cover one side with electrical tape.

[​IMG]

10. Test to make sure its working after you solder. Reassemble everything and enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Great tutorial!

3. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Man I gotta do this. Just gotta get a new soldering iron

4. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    No need for a new one!! Look at mine its held together with green electrical tape :lol