Replacing Snaptrap's head?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Duximus Prime, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Duximus Prime

Duximus Prime Chronomancer

Ebay:
    In light of the recent altered colors of the Seacons reissue, I wanted to have a more accurate Snaptrap with a black head. Short of painting the reissue of the Seacon leader, I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it would be to replace his head with a black one from a vintage junker? The rest of the body is fine and minty, so all I really require is the head rather than an entire original one, but if the head is prohibitive to replace, I'll just go for a nice original.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Find a G1 junker..

3. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    You'll notice in my post that I said that's what I was going to do depending on how difficult it is to replace the head...

Thanks for attempting to answer my question, though. ;) 

4. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Just glancing over my G1 Snaptrap, it might be tricky. You would need to take the figure completely apart to get to the head module that houses the animal head and robot head. The head unit is on a swivel and is similar to BW Waspinator's or BW Tarantulas' mutant and robot head swapping gimmick. I don't know how easy it would be to separate the pink chest panels that hold the arms if you removed the screws. There may be tabs that hold the pink chest parts together that you would need to pry open and you could risk damaging your new figure. On the other hand, there could be screws under the stickers on mine so I don't know for certain. If the new figure comes with factory applied stickers, you will be destroying the ones on the head module since they cover the seam that separates the two beast halves so you can remove the robot head. If you are serious about the head swap, practicing on a junker would be a good idea to see how easy it would be to take him apart. Otherwise just paint it...

5. Duximus Prime

Ebay:
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion/detailed response. I was sort of thinking the same thing when I looked at the figure. If possible, I would have just replaced the 'bot mode head, but it looks like it is part of the same mold as the beast head and not simply just screwed on.

At this point, the cost-to-effort ratio is not that great, and I may be better off just getting a vintage one sans accessories.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

From what I remember, removing Snaptrap's head is a pain in the ass. Of course, I just cut and torched the fucking thing until the head was free since it was for a bash.