Replacing rusted screws on old figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xkcer Man, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Xkcer Man

Xkcer Man Autobot

News Credits:
    I have some old TFs with rusted screws. I'd like to replace them with new screws to increase the selling value of them. Does anyone have experience with doing this?

• What risk do you run of breaking the screw trying to get it out?
    • What types of stores have you found a good variety (I'm thinking scratch electronics stores)?
    • Any other precautions or concerns?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Replacing the screws won't really increase the value to vintage figures.

Also, depending on the rust level of the screw, you run the risk of twisting the entire head off of a screw during removal.

I think it's important to note as well that each toy has its own specific size of screw, and even that varies within the toy depending on parts used and such. In other words, you most likely won't find a box of screws that's a "one size fits all".

I would probably recommend trying to remove the rust on the screws presently there, as typically the cylinder of the screw is less rusted than the head of the screw. Be careful with any kind of lime remover, because it also removes paint. I was recently prepping a G1 Chromedome for a custom, and I wasn't able to remove all of the rust (it was pretty bad), but the chrome on the wheels are gone now. That's fine for my purposes, but it doesn't sound like it would suit yours.

3. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have read some of the advice threads in the customs section and I remember one person saying that they regreted not saving all the screws from the figures that he had disassembled....those screws are hard to come by.

4. kondorsigma

kondorsigma Well-Known Member

I recall purchasing this rust remover from home depot a while back. I would get a q-tip, soak it up in this stuff, rub the q-tip on the screw give it a bit of time, remove the excess and the rust will come right off! It worked wonders on some really crappy g1 tformers i bought on ebay. At first i tried removing the screws to soak them but they would get a bit stripped and then i tried it in place and it still worked pretty well. I used that stuff and meguiars car wax to bring the crappiest transformers to great condition....I haven't done it for a while but get a rust remover from home depot, test it on an old spare part (i don't remember the name of what i used) and you are good.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'd like to know which rust remover specifically you used that had this much effectiveness.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still recommend the standby of oil...veggie oil being fine. Mechanics use it for a reason (not the veggie) and those with shops and guns know it's a way to not only clean off rust but to also prevent it. The stuff like wd40 kind of scares me as far as using it on plastic. It is oil based but I've seen something similar do a number on plastic.

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think I'll try this. Have you found a particular brand to be more/less effective, or is it something I could buy as a generic and totally cheap out on? :D 

8. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I think somebody mentioned that Model Train stores have a variety of hobby screws for sale.

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whatever was at hand. It takes some elbow grease as well. I'm sure there are products that are easy peasy (and pricey) so this is more of the poor man's alternative :) 

10. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

the brand named item to use is NAVAL JELLY. i have used it on a BUNCH of old gi joes (see my collection thread :) ).

you can remove multiple rusty screws, let them soak in a thin layer of naval jelly overnight. then use a wire mesh cup like the ones to protect shower drains to hold the screws while you rinse off the naval jelly with water stirring with a small paint brush. then dry them.

works like a charm. be careful removing and reinserting the old screws so you dont strip the plastic holding the screw. even that can be repaired though.