Replacing ROTF figs with DOTM

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now, I'm not sure how everyone else collects the movie toys. But for me, when ROTF came out I replaced several of the 07 movie toys with their better more screen accurate replacements. Optimus Prime, Starscream and Megatron for example. For me, I just prefer to have one version of each on screen character. I'm already sold on Ironhide and he will be replacing my old 07 voyager Ironhide. But who else?

The Twins seem likely with their newer black paint jobs. Sideswipe hopefully will get a new mold that is a convertible and is hopefully like Sidearm Sideswipe but with his big ass swords.

I'm not sure how they can improve upon ROTF Prime.

I'm trying to get together my older movie figs to sell but not sure whom I should throw in that pile. Thoughts?

2. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    To be honest, I just wanna replace my rotf toys, not really picking up any dotm figs from I see so far...

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started off that way, of just wanting the best, most accurate transforming version of each character when RotF toys were about to hit retail...and quickly gave up. I buy what I like and try to display stuff by character or certain groups rather than by line, so I don't care about keeping toys that are "lesser" versions or out of scale compared to others.

4. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, my collection so far is as follows:

Autobots:

ROTF Prime
    07 Premium Ironhide
    07 Ratchet
    HtfD Bumblebee
    07 Premium Jazz
    ROTF Sideswipe
    ROTF Skids
    ROTF Mudflap
    ROTF Wheelie
    ROTF Chromia
    ROTF Arcee
    HtfD Elita-1
    ROTF Jetfire
    ROTF Jolt

Decepticons:
    07 Premium Megatron
    HtfD Starscream
    07 Barricade/Custom painted Frenzy
    07 Bonecrusher
    ROTF Mixmaster
    ROTF Long Haul
    ROTF Rampage
    ROTF Demolishor
    Custom Scavenger (Demolishor repaint)
    07 Scorponok
    07 Brawl (leader)
    07 Premium Blackout
    ROTF Soundwave
    ROTF Ravage
    ROTF Sideways

At this stage I am unlikely to get new versions of any previous characters unless they are significantly improved compared to previous versions.

5. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    The HA figures will still stand out as the best of the character line from ROTF, so unless we get the same quality with DOTM figures of said characters, I don't see myself replacing any. Although Movie 1 figures will probably nosedive pricewise save for the handful that were not reproduced in either movie.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They'll have to try very hard to make me give up Recon Ironhide (unless repaint him in shiny black) :D  I still have 07 Ironhide, too, because I tend to collect variations of favourite characters rather than getting a whole cast.

I'm not following the news much, but what I've seen so far hasn't made my hopes high. I'll probably be sucked into buying another Bumblebee though no matter how he'd look :( 

7. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You see the new voyager Ironhide Syd?

8. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ironhide will get replaced, although he will keep the current guns. I'll give his gun to someone else.

My main Prime is a leader but if we get an updated leader/supreme with a trailer, then I'll get that. I think I'll get the voyager still, but because I think the transformation could be fun and the gun looks pretty cool. Same for Megatron.

I haven't seen enough of the other figures to say if they will be replacing my current ones yet.

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I replaced Movie Voyager Starscream with the RotF one, and I don't plan on getting a DotM Screamer to replace that one.
    Conversely, I'm hoping for a new Legends Starscream to replace the original.

I think I may get the new Megatron, though it doesn't seem like a replacement for the RotF one, considering how wildly different they are.
    Conversely, Legends RotF Megatron replaced the original, despite being very different (although the old Legend Megs was falling apart...)

10. SydneyY

News Credits:
    I missed the bot mode image :(  So, can I expect something really good?

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have yet to get any versions of the movie-verse Ratchet and Ironhide.
    just haven't seen one i care all that much for.
    (though, Recon Ironhide came closest, despite that odd paint job.)

i am hoping that the DotM Ratchet and Ironhide will be worth picking up.

I hated the previous Megatron molds so this new truck design is promising.

after those 3, the ancillary figures we get, those will be mostly impulse buys or just ones i like.

i don't like "replacing" figures as much as just getting the right one first.
    "Measure twice, cut once," applies to collecting as well.

12. TechNoMad

TechNoMad Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Excellent thread. I have also been thinking about this for the last couple of days.

But from what I have seen so far for the DOTM line, I dont plan on replacing anything. Aside from the ridiculous new gimmick, I have always found the Bayformers to be difficult to transform. They have great alt modes, and great bot modes, but gettin from point A to point B has taken some of the fun out it for me. So unless the transformation (I dont want to say "dumbed down") has been eased a bit, I doubt I will replace with more dust collectors.

Having said that I do plan on getting OP with the trailer though as a replacement, and probably go heavy on the legends class, which I think is shaping up to be some of the best to date.

13. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    well voyager prime hell no but i will be replacing ironhide and deluxe bb becuase its the same figure with newer paint scheme and spoiler

14. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Replacing / upgrading movie figures...

I pick (what I think) is the best mold of a cool character. If the mold looks bad (to me) I dont buy it. I dont need all the characters...

I chose ROTF Buster Optimus Prime as my movie Prime. It will be tough to beat.

ROTF Leader Starscream will only be replaced if DOTM has no tattoos. I dont need a deluxe...

ROTF Bumblebee will never be replaced. No Leader. No BB BB deluxe. One BB is enough for me and at the perfect voyager size...

ROTF HA Barricaide, Skids and Mudflap are good enough for me, too.

Movie 1 Longarm, Landmine and Dropkick; ROTF Bludgeon (Wreckage repaint), Sideways, Tommahawk, Lockdown and Terradive will stay.

ROTF Sidearm Sideswipe may be replaced. Depends on DOTM mold / repaint.

Movie 1 Premium Ironhide WILL be replaced by MT DOTM.

DOTM Megatron will be mine. If the new leader is not made, I may pick up the voayger. But I'm not sure if I'll rename him Motormaster... It's tough to make a good Megatron that I'll accept...

I am more interested in new molds and new characters.

15. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

I tend to pick the best looking figures too. Like for example I had deluxe Sideswipe and Skids from ROTF but then replaced those with the vastly superior HA figures. I actually even replaced my voyager Ironhide from movie 1 for the the deluxe Ironhide. I really want the Voyager Ironhide for DOTM, but I think I'll keep the deluxe too...just such a good figure :) . I may keep my ROTF leader Megs and have the new Megatron for Dotm as a before and after thing. They are different enough haha. So, yeah, I tend to replace figures. Im so getting Leader Bumblebee to replace the HA one.

16. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    If there's an improved DOTM Leader Prime mould, I'll get that - which, for me, would mean they sort out the back and the forearms to be more like the design, and get some balljointed and articulated head and hands in there. In an ideal world, waist rotation too.

Similarly, were the Leader Starscream mould tweaked to give us balljointed hands, head, ankles, I'd replace it.

However, I doubt either will happen (not least cos the electronic gimmicks would need to be ditched, which I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't do) - but here's hoping.

Voyager DOTM Ironhide already looks more accurate & generally better (if you ignore the crazy cannon) and has improved articulation; but for me that's not a "replacement", as I held out on the ROTF version anyway, gambling that we would get something better for DOTM.

Some of the other toys so far revealed, however, make me now doubt how well-engineered & screen-accurate many of the DOTM toys will be (which is all I'm interested in personally).

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I've not really bothered with replacing any of the movie figures with subsequent releases. Most of my figures who are of characters actually in the movie are the original versions (exceptions of G1 Deco Jazz and Desert Tracker Ratchet, as I never could get the originals) or I don't have representations of them yet.

Personally, I don't bother with replacing perfectly decent figures simply because there's a better version out there that looks more accurate. More power to those who just HAVE to have the best out there, but to me I'd just be wasting money buying the same character over and over.

As a final thought, I usually find the non-screen characters the better toys, anyway, as they don't have to translate overly complicated CGI designs and can essentially BS their transformations if need be.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Wow, it's like my thoughts from someone else's brain!

So far, the only figure that we've seen who could even hold a candle to a previous version of the character is Ironhide. Even then, I will wait to see a side by side comparison with his other movie incarnations before deciding to swap him out.

Sadly, the DotM toys we've been shown so far just look very cheap, tacky and gimmicky.

I can only see myself picking up the characters who have never previously appeared on screen, or if exisiting characters have changed their alt mode...

19. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aside from the doofy cannons he looks stellar. And from what I've been hearing the original cannons can
    be used on him. So... win.

If I had your patience I wouldn't have made this thread :lol  I get far too excited for new toys I guess :lol 

Glad I'm not the only one :) 

and yeah I agree with your last statement. Sideswipe being one who changed their alt mode (or the original has changed slightly enough) and I hope he'll have a better more accurate deluxe figure.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  20. SydneyY

News Credits:
    He looks nice! I even like the huge cannons - hopefully they look not too ridiculous when posed. It's good to know there's something I can look forward to, thank you for sharing :D  Reckon he can finally look over his shoulders?