Replacing Ironhide with Bulkhead - The Impact of the Change

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Black Oracle, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    We heard a little while ago that Bulkhead originally had been intended to be Ironhide in the Prime series, but the creators thought that the final character design for him was more reminiscent of Bulkhead than of Ironhide and thus decided to change him to Bulkhead.

It's occurred to me that if this is true, then the change in character might well have prompted some changes in others members of the main cast, namely Arcee, Jack and Miko.

Because Bulkhead does not have as close a connection to Optimus and is not as prominent as Ironhide, he became simply the 'muscled soldier' of Prime's team, possessing the brawn of Ironhide but not his age, experience, rank and long-running, close friendship with Prime.

Hence removing Ironhide from the Autobot cast could have promoted Arcee in terms of importance in the team in an attempt to fill in the 'second-in-command' position that Ironhide would conceivably have filled. She became the 'trusted lieutenant' to Prime instead. This would explain her "special bond" with Optimus and being his "go-to girl" from her bio description. They're the vestigial remains of Ironhide's position that Arcee inherited.

I also think it's a possibility that had Ironhide been used, Jack may well have been his human partner, and Miko may originally have been intended to be partnered with Arcee. But with the dropping of Ironhide in favour of Bulkhead and the resulting prominence in Arcee's position on the team, the producers may have decided it was more suitable to pair Jack up with Arcee instead, and Miko was paired with Bulkhead. The Sari pink hair influence on Miko may well have been the result of her being partnered with Bulkhead, making them both homages to the Animated series. And the partnership of Arcee and Jack, along with Arcee's rise in importance in Prime's team, may have lead to the decision to give Arcee a stronger and more 'masculine' colour of blue as opposed to a more traditional female colour such as magenta pink or purple (which may have happened had Ironhide been kept as part of the Autobot cast).

Just some thoughts I had. What do you all think? And could the loss of Ironhide from the main Autobot cast have triggered any other changes in the show and its characters?

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'd say other changes must have been pretty minimal. It wasn't an issue of character design at all, it was just that the way he reads on the page was closer to bulkhead. About all that changed probably was the color palette of the team (already got Ratchet and Optimus as red, so unless Prime Ironhide was going to be like his movie counterpart...) and probably just going through the scripts, and changing all instances of "Ironhide" to read "Bulkhead"

3. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Huh, didn't think of it like that. While I do love the treatment Arcee's gotten this time around, a part of me still wishes Ironhide was in it rather than Bulkhead. Concerning the partnerships, I don't really think a whole lot would have changed. Seeing Ironhide paired up with Miko would probably have been more intersting (IMO), culture clash of east meets wild west and all that.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I kinda wish they'd applied the same logic and changed Arcee to Elita One.

In Bulkhead's case, I can see why they went with him over Ironhide. Just in terms of the character dynamics, Bulkhead seems a better fit with this team.

Wheeljack_Prime makes the point about red in Optimus and Ratchet, and I'd extend that to the more obvious Cliffjumper, who is pretty similar to Ironhide in many other respects.

Anyway, don't be surprised if he's called Ironhide by the time this makes it to Japan.

5. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

well, if Ironhide replaced Arcee in the first live action movie of TFs, why not Arcee to replace Ironhide in TF: Prime xD!

6. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    I do hope that eventually a Movie-ish Ironhide shows up to give some characterization to Prime by way of flashbacks/tales of their age-old friendship.

7. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I heard that they decided to make the change to Bulkhead when they had come up with the final character model. It seems a bit late in development if they were changing Ironhide's lines in the scripts to fit Bulkhead. But I'm not sure in what order visual design and scripting occurs in animation, so who knows?

Looking at the head crest on Bulkhead though, I can see that perhaps being an influence of G1 Ironhide's head design.

I remember someone else commenting during the "Darkness Rising" mini-series that Prime Arcee's character seemed more suitable for Elita One as well.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Elita One shows up in future eps as one of Arcee's sisters. I have a theory that Orci & Kurtzman will be bringing up their ROTF Arcee triplets concept in Prime somehow. Heck, I've theorised that Chromia, Arcee's other sister, will be the new "kick-ass, female Decepticon".

It did occur to me that there would be a lot of red going on in Prime's team if they had used Ironhide's G1 colours. For that reason, I think they'd have been more likely to go with his black movie colour had they kept Ironhide. And they may have chosen another non-red Autobot to kill off rather than Cliffjumper had they kept Ironhide and made him red.

Yes, i wouldn't be surprised either if Japan continues their Animated dub name for Bulkhead and make him Ironhide when the series comes to them.

Speaking of Japan, I suppose the recent earthquake may also affect the animation studio animating the show. :( 

Funny, I thought of that irony as well.

8. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    If Ratchet doesn't have to be a snooty science-minded fellow like his movie counterpart, then Ironhide doesn't have to be a gun-crazy Decepticon killing machine.

It's not like this version of Bulkhead stands out in any particular way personality-wise. Visually there's huge callbacks to Animated Bulkhead, but personality wise, he's not all that clumsy, not all that naive, not all that stupid. Like the rest of the crew, he's very, very focused on destroying the evil forces of the Decepticons. A few visual changes and I don't think anyone would have really cared whether he was Bulkhead or Ironhide. He certainly makes a more fitting Ironhide than his Animated incarnation.

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just don't see Ironhide ever yelling "I'M SO DUUUMB" and hanging out with little girls.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

News Credits:
    Oh no, they changed it because of the final characterization, not character model. They changed Ironhide to Bulkhead not because of the animation model looking more like Bulkead, but because of his personality being more of a gentle giant than a gung-ho veteran. To change the script to reflect that, all you need to do is a good old fashioned "find and replace" option.

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Well who knows....we might actually end up with an Ironhide later on. Perhaps as a combat instructor. Hell he could've trained Bulkhead in order for him to be assigned to the Wreckers.

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Oh my gosh, THIS! The Bayformers Ironhide is my favourite version of the character. I'll take "trigger-happy, British hit-man, smoke-stacked truck" over the ""ARWN-HAWD!" crusty Southern van" any day. No offence to the G1/Animated version of Ironhide, that is. :D  Although, I guess that they wouldn't have to have everything be like the movie-version. Maybe a nice combination of the two? Or a completely new take on the character? But still, I like me some Bayformers Ironhide. :D 

That would be tres cool. A seasoned warrior, who, due to serious injuries, can't be in the battle, so he trains others to be in battle. Or, heck, have him be the leader of The Wreckers! Bulkhead, Wheeljack, someone else, someone else and their team leader Ironhide! Make it happen.

13. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is apparently what was planned for Animated season 4. Off tfwiki:

In the fourth season, Ironhide, along with Jazz would join Optimus Prime's team, replacing Bulkhead and the dead Prowl. In doing so, he would gain a vehicle mode that would have been a mix of Ironhide's various incarnations; he'd have the cannons and the pick-up truck altmode of his Movieverse counterpart and the coloration and windshield-faceguard of his G1 incarnation.

14. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Almanac. I can vouch that the rough design was really a crazy ass mix of G1 and Movie. The face was behind a windshield and he was red in a boxy G1 shape (through an animated "box shape" of course) and he had two large shield generators that looked like the cannons on his arms from the movie. Really really cool design. It was incredibly unique.

15. Wheeljack_Prime

News Credits:
    *looks up Animated Ironhide's earth mode on google images*

Holy smokes, THAT's what I want Prime Ironhide to look like! I was kinda expecting it to look sort of dorky, with the "face behind the windshield" comments (kinda like the G1 toy, I guess) , but honestly, it looks more like it comes up to his chin. Once again, Prime Ironhide better take some cues from that!

16. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Dumb, redneck, same diff. :p 
    Because he never got a chance to!

If Ratchet can turn into Gears the medic, there's nothing in the rule book that says Ironhide can't be a big lug with the personality of a doormat around teenage girls. They both certainly share each other's zeal for Decepticon blood. Difference is how they make it flow. :) 

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Duurrr, yes there is! Hasbro made a a300 page SERIES BIBLE remember? As far as we know it flat out says IRONHIDE IS THE HARDEST MOTHERFUCKER THIS SIDE OF HARD.

I also don't see Ironhide yelling "I''m so REDNECK!"

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Everything you've listed is totally conjecture. For all we know nothing has been changed from Ironhide except the name and look, and he was going to have the exact same role and relationship with the characters. Sorta like how TFA Bumblebee was very Hot Shot like, since he was at one point to be Hot Shot.

I hope, too. I do like Movie Ironhide. Even if he can't hit the broad side of a fighter jet despite all his fancy rolls and dives.

19. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I never mentioned the series bible. You made it sound like putting Ironhide's name on Prime Bulkhead wouldn't work at all, even with minor changes to the design. And that's your preference, not an undisputed fact. Just because you 'don't see' something doesn't mean it's impossible.

20. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Just looked it up too. DAMN...that's nice. Yeah definitely want him to look like that if and when he shows up on Prime.

That would be an interesting little twist. :D