Customs: Repairing WST Soundwave

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Soundblaster1, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I've had a broken WST Soundwave for well over 2 years now and I haven't been able to fix it...

The problem: He took a shelf dive and was then stepped on. His leg is broken off at the ball joint

The question: The joint is stuck in the leg. Is there any way I can re-attatch the leg?

Thanks
    SB

2. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    You'll have to remove the balljoint from the leg. Cut off the rod portion of the joint and drill a hole through the ball. Drill another hole where the rod used to connect to the hip. Find another rod and glue it into the hip and ball. (You had to make the holes to give the rod something to stick to while the glue dries.)

Reattach the leg and be all happy n stuff.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    might not be possible at that size.

4. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Small drill? Heck, if it's really that small, use a left-over pin with a dab of glue/nail polish to make a new ball joint.

5. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Well, I don't have access to micro-instruments... Looks like I still have a junker soundwave (any tips on getting the ball out of the leg? I tried tweezers and needle-nose pliers... neither worked)

6. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

I fixed a broken vortex arm (ball) joint using super glue, but it made the plastic all white and dried up looking... so I wouldn't suggest using that unless you have nothing better do.

7. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Try a small screwdriver (the eyeglass type) and insert behind the ball. Point it towards a wall (a corner preferably) and let it fly out. Might be handy to have someone else watch you do it.

Thats all I got... besides buying a new one.

8. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Post a picture of the damage alongside a familiar object for scale. Better advice'll be available if the damage is clear. I, for one, have never seen a WST in person, so understanding how small these guys are is a bit of an undertaking for me.

9. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

I'd say get a pin vise from gamesworkshop, drill a hole in the ball joint to the body with it and use a paperclip to structure it. use super glue to keep the paper clip in the holes you made.

10. VaporwareII

VaporwareII Active Member

Instead of drilling and gluing a small rod into the ball, just make a small dent (using a punch or a sharp stick) in the ball and use a pointed screw. Use the screw to pull the ball out with a pair of pliers. You'll still need to drill a new hole and glue a metal rod to stick the ball back onto the hips. It's tricky on that scale. You might want to start looking at minicons for donor joints.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    just get a new one. at that size ive had gashapons break on me, for static stuff u just glue em but being a moving joint youre pretty much screwed.

12. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    The ball in the leg is hardly bigger than a mustard seed (good enough reference?)

Too small to deal with.

13. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I am going by memory of SW size because mine is in storage...

Get a pin or a very thin and strong piece of wire. Using the pin/wire, make a hole in the ball to slide the pin/wire in and remove the wire. Next do the same to the shaft that connected the ball joint but leave the wire/pin in. Using wire cutters, snip off the extra, but make sure to leave some of the wire/pin sticking out. Then slide the ball joint so that it covers the exposed wire/pin. You won't be able to move it around as much but you shoud get forward range of motion in robot mode and possibly side to side. It would help to see a pic of both where the ball joint snapped off and the leg with the ball joint in it.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it's TOO SMALL to be repaired. if a hole is made in the ball, the ball will shatter. the post is too small for any drill bit or rod that currently exists on this planet to do any good. any rod that small will just bend when the joint is used, and no amount of glue can make it secure.

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I was gonna suggest Krazy Glue. It only takes a couple of seconds to dry well enough to hold the ball where you want it. Then give it 48 hours to dry completely. If it breaks back off as you try to reattach the leg after using crazy glue, then it's unfixable. Krazy Glue is the strongest stuff I know of for gluing plastic.

16. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    What's that stuff that partially melts the plastic to fuse it together better?

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've heard Testor's model glue does that, but Krazy Glue is stronger.

18. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Hey man, I have an extra WST SW. I'll PM ya with the details.