Repairing windows on boxes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jazz Meister, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to fix a window on boxes I have a window im trying to repair it only stays on by one side the top. Super glue doesn't work it just goes through the cardboard. Any one fix a window before on one of there boxes any ideas.

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Try some double sided tape to go between the cardboard and the plastic. Then use some packaging tape to help hold the plastic too the box as well. The plastic window should overlap onto the cardboard enough that if you cut the tape right, it won't be noticeable from the outside.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Yup, double-sided tape does a great job. I usually put it on the inside edge of the cardboard first so I can then cut the tape around those edges. Makes going around curves or other weird shapes a piece of piss and means the window will be stuck in place right up to the edge of the 'frame'. Then peel off the tape backing and press the window back into place. Done right no-one should be able to see the tape from the outside of the box, and barely from the inside as well if you haven't gone crazy with too much tape. I've replaced entire windows like this. I use the double-sided tape for fitting carpets in place as it's really sticky and holds great.
    I'd show you some examples of boxes I've fixed previously but, well, they'd just look like normal intact boxes. :p 

4. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not to hijack the thread but where can one get the clear plastic sheets from?

5. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Some art shops carry acetate sheets. Even office supply places carry them for overhead projectors, although they don't seem to be particularly cheap. Usually I just keep sheets of the stuff taken from other boxes. Make-up giftsets have great sheets as they tend to be nice and big (sometimes up to A3) if you have someone that is into make-up you can nab the clear plastic lids off of. Christmas crackers also sometimes come in big clear plastic sheet boxes. I used to regularly take those and remake them into custom display boxes for plush toys. I also used to wander up to my local recycling place and see if anyone kind was on that day that would let me grab sheets. They don't seem as willing to do that anymore though.
    I also used to work for an optical filters company so there were always bits and bobs of varying grade and finish lying around that would've ended up in the trash otherwise. I'd chuck them on the Exact computerised cutting and folding machine and make more complicated stuff.

Damn, I sound like a crazy clear plastic sheet collector, don't I?

6. sunlink

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the great tips! I know I tried to take them off of opened TFs that I have but its a pain to get the old glue/paper off so I figured a new would be easier to deal with. Thanks again!

7. sunlink

News Credits:
    whoa triple post

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  8. sunlink

News Credits:
    [deleted]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    No problem. Hope you manage to find what you're after. :)