repairing G1 Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by s4turn, Mar 25, 2009.

1. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hello!

I have posted up in the wanted section for shockwave parts..

as I just got a shockwave off ebay, havent recieved it yet, but have the following pictures of it from the ebay sale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been told one of his shoulders shown in the pic needs to be repaired and the gun arm is held together with a cable tie, everything else is apparently is good

just wanting to see if anyone else here has had similar problems with their shockwaves? or if you have had to repair your shockwave, how did you go about doing it?

is the arm held in with a clip or screw? as this one has a cable tie?

I have been reading up, and just need to confirm if its the spring that is pushing the shoulder out? - people have posted that they have removed this, then glued it it back? and still transforms?

just need to confirm the above and any tips or suggestions people may have~

I have nearly completed my little G1 collection, well from 84-86 more so, with a few 87's and shockwave has been one of the ones I've always wanted! :) 

2. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All parts of the arm are held together by screws. The shoulder seperates like that because that screw goes into a thin shaft of plastic from the other side which gets stressed because of the spring that puts pressure on the ratchet mech. that makes the arm click.

As for repairs. I can't offer much as I haven't completed mine. I am planning on replacing the damaged shaft in the chest with a spacer then using a new screw to go into the thicker more sturdy base. This should allow me to still have a functional shoulder spring and all.

Some of that may sound strange but once you get and take yours apart you will see better what I am talking about.

On the upside it looks from the pics that he has a good hose. That is something good right there.

3. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    thanks for the reply :) 

with fixing the arm issue? it should be as straight forward as glueing it together? assuming nothing is missing?

and with the shoulder, it doesnt bother me if I get that click noise or feeling when transforming him? is it possible to glue the peg in which will still allow the arm to move?

if I can I would like to keep him original, so I am keeping an eye out now for any shockwave junkers..

4. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    the posts always break as its super common, Hard to help though unless I see pics of were its busted? But I can suggest longer screws of the same thickness as I am sure there is still some of the bottom post hanging on..

5. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    well not to hijack your thread but ive been wondering the same thing about mine its not as bad as that but the gun arm elbow is broken and was glued but the glue got on his upper arm pretty much sealing it shut and I want to repair the elbow but the only way I can think of is to take his entire back off and replace the entire upper arm shoulder and all anyone have a way to open his upper arm without destroying it? like somehow release the grip of the glue in there so I can get it apart and not to mention if I just replace the shoulder and all it would be a waste of good parts which I dont want to do

but if theres no way to release the grip of the glue without destroying him I wanna know how hard it would be to take his back off and replace all the parts cause I sure as hell dont want to ruin his electronics and im not schooled in sautering and electronics so if I mess it up I cant fix it lol

6. planetjacker

News Credits:
    I know glue won't work on the chest. That area needs the screw as you will see. As for the ratchet gear, that is how the arms stay in varrious positions. without it the figure will transform but the arm will only be able to be all the way up for gun mode or flat down for robot mode. No in between positions will be possible.

7. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    what about the arm issue, which is held together by a tie wrap? is that glueble ? or will I need the replacement part?

8. planetjacker

News Credits:
    Looking at mine that joint seems to be the same as the shoulder. You could glue it without the spring in place but you would have a floppy unposeable arm.

Something else you will want to be careful of is the battery cover. The locking tab is a commonly broken part. Be careful not to apply too much pressure when removing it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ok thanks for that!

I might end up with a few shockwaves now :p 
    how hard is it to replace the hose from one shockwave to another?

10. planetjacker

News Credits:
    That all depends. You will need to desolder wires from the circuit board to remove them from the hose then thread the new wires through the hose then resolder the wires. If you can solder the most difficult will be running the wires back through the hose. If you are not familiar with soldering it will be more difficult.

11. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Awesome ok :) 

soldering shouldn't be a problem for me

Im still waiting for the ebay seller to get back to me.. once he does and if he does Ill be buying a better condition shockwave. hopefully

12. planetjacker

News Credits:
    Glad I could help. Even if most of it wasn't what you were hoping to hear. :) 

13. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    are parts from the other versions of shockwave compatable? like arm joints etc?
    more so the grey version of shockwave ? shackwave?

14. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I have had two "real" Shockwave and three "gray" ones over the years. All but one have had some part of the arm assembly crack at some point. It's the gray section sandwiched between the purple in the shoulder that seems to break from fatigue lines. The two are compatible (except for the groin part).

Instead of gluing it together you could rough up the inside then use two part bog to fill the hollow and act like a glue, it would have more surface area to get hold of.

15. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Im just wondering if the arm joints and shoulder joints are good on the grey version, I could use those for my purple shock wave, then perform the surgery or modification on the grey version

also are the left and right grey joints for the shoulders and arms identical?

so this is the hinge part and the silver part on the purple shockwave

16. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    well.. just got my shockwave tonight

hes in worse condition that was described to me on ebay

1. both shoulder joints are loose as in separated
    2. missing piece from his groin area? - not really that noticeable though
    3. speaker doesnt work
    4. I cant seem to bolt the battery pack onto his back in robot mode
    5. gun side wrist is broken, held together with a cable tie
    6. gun side elbow? joint is broken - bascially the whole left arm is broken
    7. one of the legs has cracked at the top
    8. shockwave doesnt stand up

the good things..
    got the barrel
    battery cover
    electronics work
    seems a loose wire then the speaker goes, which has made me happy
    rubber hose is in mint condition

I dont really know where to start... with repairing it
    getting longer/bigger screws as mentioned may fix some of the issues

but what about the purple cyclinders inside the arms that hold both joints together? as minehas broke there in the middle, which can be fixed by gluing them, but im not sure if putting a bigger screw through it will do anything?

can someone help me with some of these issues? or would i be better selling it?

17. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ok itsbeyond repair

I have pretty much broken the leg off
    so i will need a junker..
    might just wait for one to come up or glue this one all together and buy a mint one

18. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    well I have nearly fixed everything! just by using longer screws! :) 

now i just need some leg joints and this will be back to normal

I even get the clicking noise in the arms and shoulders :) 

19. s4turn

s4turn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Fixed him tonight.. waiting for leg replacement

Im not sure if I will sell him now, as hes now in good condition :) 
    and I know hes fixed, unlike some of the others on ebay that may have this issue or will have it in time to come with joints separating etc

yesterday he was in parts
    now he makes clicking sound with his arms again, tranforms into a gun, sound works, lights work, hose is in MINT condition, battery cover unbroken

*Just need a new leg clip (joining piece)

Enjoy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. planetjacker

News Credits:
    Sweet. Glad to hear you got him sorted out. It really is a nice figure. You will enjoy him a lot. Even more so since you brought him back from death.