Repair Help: G1 Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rework, Sep 6, 2009.

1. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Been a long time since I asked for repair advice... But this is actually the 1st time I've tried to tackle one of these...

In the past month or so I've picked up 2 beautiful, complete Shockwaves. Sadly both of these have the split shoulder problem. The springs have broken the posts that hold the shoulder together.

Has anyone had success fixing this issue? I'm guessing that just trying to super-glue the post back together isn't going to cut it...

2. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Had the same problem with a ko shockwave. The posts on mine broke high up enough for me to take some longer screws and bite into the plastic at the base of the post. Goodluck.

3. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

No one else does repairs anymore? I realize I posted on a holiday weekend and all! LOL

4. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I do! Lucky you that I happened to be lurking through these threads tonight as I happened to have taken apart and completely disassembled and successfully reassembled a G1 Shockwave. If I never have to do it again it will be too soon. Having said that, if you can provide pics, I can probably offer help. A couple of the screw posts on mine stipped to the point of destroying that part that pegs into the other side and I wound up having to superglue that back together before trying to screw it back together. In the end it worked though.

5. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    you say fixed one before. mine needs a new elbow joint but the armor is glued to the elbow so I cant get it apart anymore meaning I have to go through the back and remove the shoulder as well. how hard is it exactly to take that back cover off? I dont wanna mess his electronics up one bit so im being careful before I try anything

6. transtrekkie

The upper arm assembly is pretty easy, certainly easier than disassembling the entire chest. Assuming you can find a replacement arm (or that you can crack the glue without breaking the arm) it should be easy to fix/replace. Probably the easiest thing on him to fix.

7. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    yea its the glue thats giving me the problem the arm shouldnt be too hard to get and I have 2 brand new Shoulder joints already. the glue is right at the bottom I wanna try and salvage what I can from the arm though. is there any easy way to make the glue release? and how exactly is the shoulder in the back? cause ill have to unscrew part of the back to get it out

8. transtrekkie

I'll take apart my Shockwave's arm tonight and post pics. Hopefully that will help. As for glue, I've heard that steam will work on certain types, scraping works on others and there are actually some on which nothing works at all. If you have a pic, that would be helpful.

9. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    my camera isnt capable o taking a pic better than this (its the laser arm thats giving me the problems)
    [​IMG]
    I also wanna eventually repair his chest where its broken off at the leg but idk if I want to after you saying its PITA to take that part of him apart.

but ive fixed the other elbow already its just that upper arm on the other side giving me issues. ive been tempted to just break it apart but I want to have the armor in case I cant find another with good armor

10. transtrekkie

Wouldn't you know it, there are actually two sections that I didn't disassemble. The gun forearm and the "backpack" (the bit with the speaker). The arm I tried, but you have to remove the barrel on the end of his gun arm first and I felt like mine was going to break which I didn't want to do. Replacing that front armor is going to be a pain in the ass. Seriously. The electronics will hold fin, but the problem is trying to hold everything in place like the shoulders, legs, trigger and head. And to try to do that with one hand and use the other for the screwdriver. The electronics are screwed into place so they're not an issue. There's a metal bar holding the legs in place and there are metal plates behind each one that will fall out at the slightest touch. the hardest part is the upper torso. The shoulder joints have strong metal springs that push everything apart and the head is on a spring as well.