Repaints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TwilightNero, Jun 9, 2011.

1. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I'm new to the boards, so I don't know if this thread has come up before. What are peoples opinions on straight up repaints of figures? If you have the mold, do you stay away? or do you get it for the character or because it is a good paint job? Personally, I think if it looks interesting enough, a repaint is worth the money.

2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I tend to roll off what the bio contains, a new character is far far more enticing than a "powerup"

3. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Welcome to the boards! well I mainly collect g1 autobot cars that were diaclone, and on these every repaint counts, because they are so cool, so i try to get every possible repaint. however I do not feel the same about the decepticon jets and so far I have stayed away from black starscream and clear starscream.

4. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well. In the Original G1s there were a bunch of repaints. So Hasbro still doing that doesn't surprise me. Some are downright awesome Like the Tracks/Wheeljack, and the Sunstreaker/sideswipe mold. its hard to even tell they are the same figure until you really look at them. Hasbro is doing great things with some of the molds.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm more likely to buy new character repaints than a 'Tuner Mudflap' type repaint. Though I do find myself strangely tempted by Cyberfire Bumblebee.

6. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    I honestly find no reason to buy a figure that is the exact same, just a different color.

7. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Repaints tend to annoy me, to be honest. I like having more variation than just a new head mold and paint job.

8. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm more tempted to buy multiple repaints of a mold I like then singles of molds I do not like.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have picked a few straight-up redecos, such as Fallback, Generations Thundercracker, and Gentei Strafe. Those are all different characters...in one case a different faction, and in the other arguably a different universe, and the third is a Seeker, which everyone thinks is great and I think is worth $12.

I think a new head is sufficient to call it a "retool," which has sold me on any number of classics-style double-dips. Notably Rapido and anything in Generations that was redone. In fact I nakedly lust after merely "promised" retools in instructions such as Hardhead, Ratbat(?), Gears(?), etc.

I also badly wanted Takara's Air Raid and Vortex, but missed out. Doesn't really count though, since I didn't have the molds at all. Also, I would kill you for a Space Case, because that's what I waited for after hating Terradive's colors.

Well said.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I sometimes buy redecos, but never repaints. Though I'll often only get the redeco if it's better, I don't have the original, or both.

The Universe Springer, Dirge and Dreadwing are good examples of all three I own.

11. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I Usually stay away from repaints...but then there are times where the repaint is just AMAZING!

Energon Dreadwing! I thought that toy was a piece of junk, then it's rapaint came out and blew my mind!

Same with Big Convoy being repainted into Nemesis Prime. One of my Favorite Transformers.

And 4 or 5 repaints later I still can't decide which color scheme I like Best on Armada Demolisher.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I buy them if it's a different character that I like. I grew up with G1, so of course I have to buy all the seekers, Sideswipe/Sunstreaker/Red Alert, Prowl/Smokescreen/Streak, Prime/Magnus and Ironhide/Ratchet. Modern fiction tends to not re-use as many molds for new characters as G1 and to a lesser extent BW did.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    When I first got into collecting I rarely bought repaints. Not if it's a cool paint job I'll pick it up.

14. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Certainly!

Of course I think its quite interesting that Hasbro hadn't expected people to buy repaints and hadn't expected fans to complain about them. This was brought up at a convention I read someplace.

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Classics Starscream
    Classics Skywarp
    Henkei Thundercracker
    Universe Starscream
    Henkei Starscream
    Henkei Skywarp
    Generations Thundercracker

Yeah, I dig redecoes. Better if they fit the character.

Two of a good toy is never a bad thing.

16. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm very much a one version of a mould only kinda guy, so I do try and wait to see what repaints are announced before I decide which version I get.

17. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    The seekers really are the poster children for this discussion aren't they? lol

18. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    As solving the transformation puzzle is a major part of why I buy TFs, there isn't much reason for me to get a repaint/redeco/new head retool (don't need to solve the same puzzle).

Though there have been times I waited for a better version.

19. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Making a repaint a repaint a new character sells it better then it being a new paint scheme for a character that already used that mold and having a sub name to them like Mud Buster.

20. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

echoing above sentiments about redecos as separate characters, it adds variety, sometimes new character deco really brings out the details better or just plain cooler/more suitable than the original character it was first used. but boo to infinite repaints of the same mediocre mold of the same character, i'm looking at you movie voyager ratchet.