Repaints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by red00wolf, Aug 23, 2008.

1. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

A lot of pepole seem to really not like them, there is news of a repaint and some pepole seem take it like its a personal insult.
    It seems like a good thing to me,you get a secound chance at a toy in a new deco often times better then the last time it was released.
    If you dont want to buy the new toy in diffrent colors you dont have to.
    So whats with all the hate for them?

discuss.

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You're right that often times the re-deco is just as appealing (if not more so) than the original. I don't think it's that Hasbro does repaints that irks people, it's that they do so many repaints, often of molds that most collectors were only lukewarm about to begin with. There are many collectors who are completionist and want every toy from one line, or every line (I'm a reformed completionist BTW). Repainting mediocre molds in a mediocre paint scheme, tends to frustrate these folks. Most of the repaints I bought ended up going in a box and never being opened.

Granted Hasbro has always done repaints, however since Armada it seems that Hasbro has been going out of its way to repaint darn near every mold for a particular line, in some cases several times. Then there was the Universe 1.0 line that was nothing but repaints. Most of them fairly uninspired or out right bad (Universe Silverbolt anyone?). These things just tend to make people cringe when they hear there's a new repaint on the way.

3. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I judge repaints on a case-by-case basis. As stated earlier some repaints look better than the original, and in some cases I like the mould so much that I buy multiple versions of that mould.

Some of the Alternator repaints bugged me a bit though, particularly Camshaft and Rollbar who didn't really look like the character they were named after, I can't help but feel better choices could've been made there.

There is a double-standard about the G1 seekers though, where there is a clamour for the set if one is released. It's somehow more acceptable since Skywarp, Starscream, and Thundercracker were originally repaints of the same mould. I suppose the same can be said for some of the early Autobots also.

4. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I liked the first univeres(but i can see why others dident)and liked how they used silverbolts beast machine colers on his beast wars mold, but i can see where your coming from.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally don't usually have a problem with repaints. I fully understand why Hasbro needs to repaint figures. That and I usually like most of them, and there are very few that I absolutely don't like, while most I'm ok with.

6. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At this point, I love most repaints. Mostly because I just got back into TFs during the middle of cybertron, so I missed alot of molds from past lines. So I am loving all the universe 2.0 stuff there making, and all the movie target basics. (Cmon, who doesn't love a cybertron basic>) But in a few years, when they start to repaints all of the molds I already have from animated and what not, I'm sure I will not like them. But I hate it when they repaint/re-release a figure that sucked or was a total shelf-warmer. Take the re-release of armada unicron. All it is going to do is take up space.