Repaints-where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ZeroEdge, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Like the title says-where do you draw the line with repaints? Do you keep buying the same mold over and over even though you've already got like a million different versions of him on your shelf? Is there a point where you just say "stop, I have enough of this mold no more"?

With me-due to budget and shelf space I try not to buy too many of the same character, that and I like my collection to be as diverse as possible. I'll buy the repaint if I think the redeco looks nice, or if I missed out on the mold from it's first run.

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

When the repainted mold doesn't fit the character.

I'll buy Seekers to no end, I'll get the Z molds (Prowl, etc.), I'll drop dime on Red Alert.

But I'm not going to spend hundreds on a bad BotCon Kup and Scourge.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Usually I won't buy a repaint, unless I don't have the original release of that mold already. Mostly I collect new molds, so repaints don't interest me. That said, very rarely I might nab a repaint if it's a character I want. I got Universe Prowl but liked the look of Universe Silverstreak, so I picked him up too (half price though). I'm not a Seeker collector though unless maybe I could find them dirt cheap. Same would go for Universe Ratchet (since I already have Ironhide) and others from the Prowl mold. I'm far more forgiving of repaints when it's of G1 characters from Classics/Universe.
    I will go for clever slight remolds sometimes, like getting both Universe Sunstreaker and Universe Sideswipe.
    Basically though no repaints for me apart from very rare exceptions.

4. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Aside from the Classics seekers (I'm a sucker for them don 'cha know.) I agree and follow the same general rules.

5. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I hate the "slightly changed repaints", like most of the movie's repaints of main characters. If I liked the mold, and if its a new character or a radically changed colour, then maybe.

6. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    It depends on the mold, and price, for me.

7. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    If I likes it, I wants it.
    If I wants it, I gets it.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

If it's a good mold, I'll buy it.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I generally don't buy repaints, unless they're, say, necessary components for a combiner (Energon).

Exception goes to those with character significance. I felt practically compelled to get the entire Classics/Henkei Seeker set (making my own Thundercracker), the Lambo trio, and the Nissan-Z trio, Classics Bumblebee and Cliffjumper. And Ultra Magnus (who came with Skywarp anyways, so he was more a "freebie" than anything. And then City Commander came and vilified that decision).

I'm grabbing both Alternity Starscream and Skywarp. The design looks pretty damned spiffy from what we've seen of it. I generally prefer Skywarp's colours, but it feels wrong not to get Starscream too.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

It just depends on the repaint.

I would definitely buy repaints such as the Classics Seekers, but for all other repaints it has to be an awesome repaint -- like ROTF Armorhide, repaint of 07 Movie Landmine -- for me to buy it or else it stays on the shelf.

11. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup. It's the character that matters ie. Smokescreen/Bluestreak/Prowl. But if the mold really stands out then I'll pick up a few repaints (Classics Jetfire, Henkei Jetfire and Universe Treadbolt. Botcon Dreadwind is a little out of reach for me, and I'm still on the fence about Dark Skyfire)

Then there are higher priced repaints that IMO just aren't worth it, such as Shattered Glass repaints (while sometimes cool looking, I'm just not a huge fan of the idea in general) or repaints where the new character barely looks like the original (Strafe? Wildrider?!)

12. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

I don't care how many of the moulds I have, as long as the paint and mould are good, I'd get it, stupid botcon, making me svae up all my money so I can't buy anything now, it pays off in the end though but still, it's torture just standing in stores looking at all these awesome toys thinking come on, buy them, buy them all, you have the money, you know you want to

13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a line drawn for repaints? Hmm, let's see. I didn't buy Takara's Henki Wildrider, didn't like the paint job as it looked too much like Titanium Menasor. Didn't buy Skids and Screech as I didn't like both the paint and the mold. I'm also on the fence so far with Takara's Animated line.

Oh, and the Wonder Fest Fallen can go fight in another Universe as well.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I only get repaints of classicsverse and movieverse figs, and even then I've got criteria.

Classics: I only get repaints of characters that were repaints in G1 (seekers, Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen, Ratchet/Ironhide, Optimus/Magnus). As such, I've passed on things like Skyfall and Hardhead. So far, the only exception has been the Sunstreaker/Sideswipe mold, of which I've gotten both because of the different headsculpts and transformation schemes.

Movieverse: I get most redecos, except for the barely-repainted stuff they've been doing lately, like Bumblebee and Sideswipe. I've even passed on Recon Ironhide for the sole reason that I'm hopin they give him a G1-deco later. Exception: As far as HA figs go, I'm only getting ones that are in-movie paintjobs (for instance, I'm passing on Sideswipe's upcoming blue version.

In the future, I hope to get MP Starscream and Thundercracker to go with my Skywarp.

15. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I pretty much stay away from repaints unless I find something super cheap on clearance.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I has to be just plain horrible for me to not want to buy a Transformer.

17. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    If I like it and if I can afford it are usually the only two variables.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Examples please?

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    My one rule of buying is, if it is on the show I will buy it.

This got annoying during the A/E/C days ,especially Armada, which felt like half the toys were repaints.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

20. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    For the most part, I avoid repaints. I really could care less than to have 50 different coloured versions of movie BB. However, like others, I'm a sucker for seekers (i have all the MP seekers and all the TFA seekers). And if the repaint is a different character (and looks good/good mold), then I would be more interested in the figure (alternators comes to mind here).