Repaints....Like 'em or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by trebleshot, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    This idea came about in light of the recent news in other threads of the Smokescreen repaint and the Beast Wars X repaints that are set to appear as part of wave 9 of the Deluxe Cybertron figures. And before I go any further, yes I know my avatar adds a certain bit of irony to this thread.:D  Moving on.....

/*Begin Rant*/

Generally, I don't care for repaints of any TF mold. I usually only want one version of a given toy and I don't care what other colors it's available in. That being said, I do make some exceptions when the new color scheme is turned into a different character. I mean, it's not like repaints are a recent trend Hasbro has just gotten into. They were around since the beginning (see the Datsun Z cars and the Seekers from G1).

However, if the reason behind the color change is just a "powered up" version of the same character? That's a cop out to me. A new mold should be used then, truly show that the character has changed. The Cybertron Defense toys were a nice example of this. Even Hot Shot, who stayed in the same size class looked like a changed bot. Otherwise, Hasbro should take some of that R&D money they saved and use it to generate some background stories for the new versions. It's not that difficult. Look at the Binaltech storyline.

/*End Rant*/

What do you think?

2. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

I think repaints only work for certain things like the seeker jets or the autobot cars But for every figure to get a repaint makes no sense. Its hard enough finding the Toy in its original colors without trying to find the repaint too

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Repaints are fine. But I don't buy them unless they are in the show.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I like smart repaints...ones that are sure to sell quickly and not become shelfwarmers.

Stupid repaints are Rollbar and Ricoshelf...two molds that Hasbro was quick well aware that the two previous repaints Swindle and Silverstreak warmed the selves for many many months after their releases.

So why in the world would hasbro want to put two more of this very same mold out there? Especially when they KNOW that Decepticharge and Swerve are now highly sought after. Hell, they could have given Camshaft way before Rollbar.

Stupid repaints= shelf warmers and Hasbro needs to be more aware of which products are selling before do a repaint.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I like them when they don't suck.

6. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I don't like repaints, I prefer new molds.

But in some cases, a good repaint can improve a specific toy, so it depends. For example, I think they are making a good job with that exclusive line of Beast Wars before they acquired their beasts modes. Using repaints of Cybertron toy but with new head sculpts was a good idea, IMO.

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I generally don't buy repaints unless there is a new part to the mould. (Think Dark Crumpy vs Jetfire/Skyshadow.)

It was a real cop-out that Hasbro/takara did so many for The Unicron Trilogy.

8. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Alternator repaints were better when they had new heads and slight changes to the car.

Main line (i.e. Cybertron) repaints are like, whatever. I've got some where I bought only the first version of the mold, some where I bought only the second version, and some where I bought both. Depends entirely on the strength of the mold and the individual color schemes. It is much nicer to see most of the repaints using different paint masks than the original though.

9. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Good Points ecpecially with the alts coment. The Ricochet repaint was one that I thought could've been a great seller of hasbro if they used the right mold; the Meister mold.

I also prefere repaints to be new characters unless the mold is one of my favorites. I'd probably get them regaurdless in that case. One example being the BM deluxe Jetsorm mold. I really like that mold so i've gotten all of them I think. All those did have different names,(excluding the reversed name with Stormjet) but I like that mold enough that i'd probably still have gotten them if they were all called Jetstorm.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    repaints are cool as long as its a nice color scheme.

and interesting character would be a bonus.

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    You know, no other class of toy expects parents to buy every color variation of the same toy. That is generally considered nonsensical. But action figures bypass that rule just by using different names and stories. I find it a pretty sneaky way to get people to buy the same toy over and over. Yeah, I know, "Hasbro isn't forcing anyone to buy it". True enough. But there are many collectors out there who do feel they have to buy it for the sake of consistency and their collecting strategy. Hasbro knows it. Hasbro is smart.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    There are also buyers who pass on a mold because of the color scheme. Repaints give them another option.

13. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    I like exclusives. RiD destructicons, Universe Nemesis Primal, e-hobby, convention figures, chase micromasters and minicons and such can be fun. But Energon sixshot isn't. I think that when they are distributed in too large numbers, they start to feel superflous and are diluting the coherence of the main line.

Lucky Draws are just annoying, though.

14. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Honestly, a good repaint might entice me to purchase a mold I initially passed on. I understand that repaints are a pain in the ass for completists as they really don't add much to a mold they may already have several times over, but for a selective buyer, a repaint can make or break an otherwise average mold.

15. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Repaints can be really hit or miss for me. During RID, I really loved the repaints. Some of the color schemes we got were just amazing. Figures like Cryotek, Bludgeon, and Deluxe Scourge.

And even though it was much maligned, the Universe line offered some absolutely amazing repaints. Figures like Depth Charge, King Atlas, Razorclaw, Nemesis Prime, Snarl, Skywarp and a few others. I think it was Armada, where repaints became tiresome for alot of people. Repainting close to every toy turned into a chore for alot of people. I've seen quite a few people (myself included) say that Armada was the last toyline they collected every toy from.

Since Armada I've decided to only purchase repaints that really hold appeal to me. Energon Galvatron, Energon Starscream, Botcon exclusives, etc. Things that have a special appeal to my enjoyment in collecting.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I basically like repaints. At least I like looking at them :) 

Plus if I like the mold I need to buy every repaint available, except for CarRobo brothers, who I like the characters too much I'd rather deny the copies :lol 

17. Deceptivore

Deceptivore Autobot Nutritionist

New guy here, I figured I'd just jump in...

Repaints are hit and miss with me. If I already own a specific mold, chances are that a repaint won't move me to buy another. In the case of the Excellion repaint of Hot Shot, I didn't own the original toy but jumped right on it due to the repaint's G1 homage to Hot Rod and I love it. Same story with the Smokescreen repaint of Crosswise. I'll definitely be picking it up though I've passed on Crosswise since he came out.

Repaints can definitely be a good thing. Can't wait for Smokescreen.

18. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Welcome aboard. :D 

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really like repaints, it hurts the wallet though as I'm a bit completist about most things TF. I would say it gets a bit boring after the second or third repaint of the same mold. Has/Tak should at least change the face or some other detail at that point. Oh and I think Cybertron Bendy Prime and Cybertron Demolisher should have kept thier respective Minicons as they were both the fifth & fourth incarnation of their respective molds. The modified Cyber Key feels like a cheat.

20. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

I only like repaints so that when I regret not buying the original, there it is again to buy, just in a different colour, so in the end we all come out as winners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.