Repaints and reissues. Gen-1 to Alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SamiWCP, Sep 1, 2006.

1. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Often enough (especially on this board) when it comes to the toy line--in regards to the Alternator/Binaltech/Kiss line, you hear a lot of people complain. Well, on just about everything. But in one particular case, you always here one of the largest cry of foul on the repaints.

Now forgive me for not having been alive let alone on any message boards when the first line came out in the 80's...But, I'm a big fan of the Gen-1 stuff, and I happen to notice a large portion of them are in one form or another, repaints. Ratchet and Ironhide, Bluestreak, Siverstreak, Prowl, Jazz and Richocet, Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, etc etc etc..The entire line was made of repaints with the occasional mold adjustment. Sure, there were quite a few more original modes back then, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have the licensing restrictions this line up has.

Yeah, it would be nice to get all new characters each time, and it is exciting when a new figure does come out with a brand new mold. Peronsally I look forward to repaints, I like seeing the line expand. It's Gen-1, remade.

2. AximusPrime

AximusPrime Well-Known Member

I think the problem most people have is that in most recent years (RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron) most repaints are the same character as the original deco instead of a completely separate character like in G1 with the seekers, the autobot cars, etc.

3. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

Except in Energon about Half the repaints weren't the same character (although Takara, bless them, decided to include some of the separate-character repaints from Energon in the Show as "Upgrades" of the previous character).

Certainly in Cybertron almost all of the repaints have been separate characters (the later wave repaints being exceptions to this rule), yet the complaints about this apparently dastardly practice continue.

The bit that gets me is that some people really do talk like they believe that the repaints somehow reduce the number of new molds that are made available.

4. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    When toys are this good, fans need SOMETHING to complain about

Anymore its complaining just to do so, if anything, I've noticed a downturn in the proportion of repaints to original molds in Energon and Cybertron.

5. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Well, also, those other lines weren't specific to licensing requirements like Alternators are. Be it color available, or what changes can be made etc. The Armada and Energon, even the original Gen-1 type stuff didn't need to meet actual specific vehicle designs. So, to do what they've done, has been great, in my opinion.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The G1 fanboys only accept repaints into another character if the same character had also been repainted into the other character in G1.

See the bitching about Alt Ricochet. "OMG NOES HE SHUD OF BENE A REPIANT OF MIESTER!"

Or Prowl. "OMG WHY NEW MOLD WHY NOT A SUBARU STUPID HABSOR!"

7. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Man, Hasbro can repaint molds all they want.

*It helps fund new molds...not to mentions helps fund the future of Transformer toys.
    *Many of the repaints are quite good.
    *I don't have to buy what I don't want.

Don't bother me none.

8. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Repaints are good when:

A) They make sense (Megatron into Galvatron time and time again is a counterexample; Overload into Magnus is a good one).
    B) They look good (Energon and Cybertron Galvatron are examples of this).
    C) They are interesting characters (Beast Wars era is a strong example of this).
    D) I take a liking to the mold (For me G2 Laser Prime, Armada Starscream & Bendy Prime, for example).
    E) They are Alternators/Binaltech/Kiss Players. :D 

That's not to say I live in repaint mania. I by no means like every repaint. A healthy dose of remolding is always welcome and I like new molds like the next guy.

9. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I think there's probably a 10:1 ratio of bad versus good repaints. If you don't like em don't buy em. Armada was the worst expample. I think every toy in that line was repainted at least once.

10. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Wheeljack?

11. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I never really got into Energon or Armada, so, I can't really add to that one..

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Now was that really necessary considering how the board has been lately?

To answer the question, I personally could care less about repaints. If I don't like them I don't buy them. However, I don't like repaints b/c almost every toy gets repainted these days, which leads to if you didn't buy the original toy in the first of month of its released them you lose your shot at getting said original at retail because they're pushing the repaints.

13. smkspy

He did get a repaint later on though.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

i don't mind repaints, I buy the one I want. Like the Cybertron Crosswise mold. I didn't get the 1st and will be getting the 2nd of smokescreen. I don't care much for the mold, however the G1 smokescreen colors are enough to make me buy it :D 

As for Alternators. I mind them a little more now then before since they no longer remold them or give them a new head. The KISS play line really annoys me since it is NOT BT or BT*. I Will not be buying any of them..even the rodimus and autotrooper guys. They are expensive and no diecast. Alts all the way for me.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    The issues that I have with repaints is that they take shelf space from the figures that haven't come out yet. For example TRU will only out out another box of Cybertron deluxe figs when all the Blurrs, buzzsaws, etc are gone.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It was never released.

Edit...forgot to actually contribute to the topic conversation hahaha...

I've warmed up to repaints in the last few years, since I know the main reason they're done is to get as much money back from a mold as possible, but like others have said I don't buy what I don't like. If I really like the mold I'll buy a bad color scheme every once in awhile, but lately I've been buying repaints of bad molds just FOR the color scheme lol. Thoudh I definitely try to restrict myself to only buying repaints on toys in the basic and deluxe price points. (That said Cybertron got all of the Decepticon repaints out of me, even Galvatron...d'oh!)

In the Alternators' case money is definitely an issue, if I'm going to by a repaint of a toy that expensive there'd better be some remolding done. That's why I've been disappointed with Ricochet, Rollbar and Camshaft.

And no, I never minded the repaints in G1 since they were all different characters with fleshed out personalities in the cartoon, not just power ups of the same guy;) 

17. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    But it IS true.

I've seen a LOT of people complain about getting repaints in Alts or the mainline, but turn right around and demand Classics Starscream get repainted, or Voyager Cybertron Starscream repainted into the other Seekers

18. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Yeah? When?

19. smkspy

But it contributes to whole GEEWunners thing thats all.

And yes Wheeljack/Downshift did released in the Universe line...unless these are two different toys then that just makes me confused.

20. smkspy

I saw one at Kaybee like last week...unless Energon Wheeljack and Downshift are two different toys.