Customs: Repainting One color Over Another

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hey guy's. I appreciate all your comments on my WST Jetfire project, it was a lot of fun! Especially when it turned out so well. I'm considering a second project soon and I need some advice.

I finally found my beloved G1 Omnibot Overdrive. I've always loved the figure and wish he had a character to go with the figure. He had such an awesome car-mode being a classic 80's Ferrari, or was it an early 70's Ferrari? Anyway point is, he looked awesome in both car-mode and in bot-mode.

I love Transformers repaints, I absolutely love my yellow Lamborghini Countach Tigertrack. He's a great compliment to Sideswipe. And it got me thinking.

I'd love to get another G1 Overdrive figure and repaint him yellow and name him Oversteer. However, yellow is such a bitch to paint. I did a yellow car ages ago using the old rattle-cans which I'm pretty good at, but the yellow sucked.

Are there any tips for getting a smooth yellow finish? Problem is, the figure is red, and I'd probably need to primer it white or something before the yellow. I don't own an airbrush, and I'm an old-fashioned rattle-can user. Most of my paint jobs turn out descent. But, I am concerned about yellow.

Also, what yellow do you suggest for getting that nice Ferrari Yellow look?
    For primer, I usually use Testors, or Armory paint so need a yellow that'll work with it as some paints don't seem to mix well with others.

Tip's and suggestions please. Thanks in advance.

I think a yellow G1 Overdrive would look awesome if done right!

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Sand it down, primer it with White or a really really light gray, and then go for the yellow.

Option 2 is to go for a candy coat of yellow if you want a shiny finish.

3. Tigertrack

Candy yellow? Not sure what you mean by that. What I want is for it to have that nice Ferrari Yellow finish since Overdrive after all, is a Ferrari. As far as sanding it down, in my experience that roughed up the finish which usually made the end result look scuffed.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

If you use a fine grit sand paper to start, then finishing paper (which is basically a really fine grade sandpaper), you'll get a nice smooth finish, but with enough tooth for the paint to take well. I'd recommend priming with a pale cream colour.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Yeah, pale cream is good.

The candy yellow is when you put either silver or chrome down as a base coat, then use a top coats of clear yellow.

6. Tigertrack

I never thought of pale cream. Still looking for Ferrari Yellow.

7. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

i can second this technique.also using a metallic of a similar shade such as a light gold with the a top coat of the color should work too