Repainting Ironhide's face and windows...what kind of paint?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimatron, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Hi everybody,
    If anyone can tell me which paints they used to repaint the new Universe Ironhide's face and windows I'd appreciate it very much...I have access to a lot of Model Train paint...but I wasn't sure whether or not it'd work...If I need to apply a clear coat, etc, etc...Hell I'm not real sure of much of anything, I've never customized a figure or repainted one, so this will be my first attempt. It's kind of a forced attempt too, because the baby blue face/windows just have to go. I'm not gonna let anybody diss my main man Ironhide ya know what I mean?? lol Even if it's Hasbro and their careless paint apps. Anyways...I have a couple questions if anyone can answer them.

For those who have already done mods to their UC 2.0 Ironhide:

1. Did you remove his head to paint his face? How does his head disassemble? (I'm asking this because I'm still waiting on my figure...If I could look at him in person I could probably figure it out considering I'm descently mechanically inclined...But he hasn't arrived yet so I'm just trying to prepare my mind with an idea.)
    2. When painting the windows...do you need painting tape? How important is it in keeping paint away from the other areas?
    3. Is there a specific kind of paint that needs to be used on TFs? I don't want anything to eat away at the plastic.
    4. Is there a specific Silver that looks best on his face?
    5. Do I need to remove the original blue before painting the face and windows? How do I do so if the case?
    6. How long does the paint need for drying? Are there any specific lighting/climate conditions needed for it to dry correctly?

Alrighty, those are my questions. I appreciate anybody willing to take the time to answer these questions. Thank you in advance fellas!

2. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Use Testors or Tamiya, those are the 2 more recomended.

3. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Can I find testers at any hobby shop?

4. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Testor's Model Master brand is what I use for my painting needs and it's pretty easy to find at most hobby shops. It can be a little more expensive, but it's worth it!

All of your painting/modifying questions can be answered in the Radicons section here: Tutorials and How-Tos - Radicons Transformers Customs

I haven't tried my hand at Transformer customizing (yet), but the tips in there have helped me with my other projects!

Best of luck and have fun! :thumb 

5. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Thanks for the advice guys...I guess I should have checked the Radicon thread before openning this one...but I appreciate the responses I've gotten so far.