Customs: repainting G1

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by valguerra, Nov 8, 2008.

1. valguerra

valguerra Well-Known Member

When repainting a G1 thats have plastic and metal do you prime it before painting or just paint right over it? I got a g1 red alert that want to turn him into clampdown, but the paint is chip were the metal is and is yellowing on the plastic.

Attached Files:

2. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    When I did renew my Original red alert(long time ago), I painted the plastic with automotive paint, back in brazil I used to paint with DUCO paint that is extremely durable over plastic and dries ultrafast, but i do not know if you may get this paint here in the US due to prohibition issues but, i think automotive paint found on regular autopart stores will do.

if the plastic is very yellowed you will need to prime it otherwise the yellowing will affect the performance of white paint,. If you use krylon for plastics you may want to apply a thin coat of blue paint as a primer, this will nulify the yellowing and will give you a brighter white wht applied.

The metal part was completely stripped off the paint by submerging it in paint thinner for a couple of days, after that just painted back using automotive paint, that will adhere very well to diecast metal used in G1 figures.

good luck!

3. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Hi, in the future, post such questions in radicons discussion instead. You can still edit your top post to move this.
    Answering your question: it always depends on what paints your using, could you specify what you're using?