Customs: repainting a repaint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by foxfan352, Jul 11, 2009.

1. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a tftm wingblade(cyb wingsaber repaint) from my local toy shop. I bought it cause I never could get cybertron wingsaber. He always looked better in his cybertron colors so I was woundering if you could custom repaint him and make him into cyb wingsaber. If you can I would like to now what paint to use since I'm new at custom painting. Any info would be great on this subject

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol, when I saw your title I thought you were repainting a current custom. But for your question, anything is paintable. I myself love my lacqures and acrylics. Just get yourselfsome good refference material . And most of all, you should probably do some test repains on some junker figures first. I repainted my tftm ccbb without prcticing first and went through $200 of bb's before I got it right. And make sure that before you paint anything that you disassemble, sand any joints that can cause chipping or flaking, and wash everything thuroughly. Also, check into the tutorials section. That helped me a lot when I finally realised I needed help.

3. foxfan352

Thanks for the help this will probably my first custom figure I do I would like to post some pics but to unfortunately I don't have a camera but thanks for the help

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I would not start with a ultra due to the electronics.

Maybe use a junker or unwanted figure until you get comfortable removing pins and such.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No problem man. Hope everything works out for ya!

6. foxfan352

I'm already comfortable with the pins and stuff and besides I'm only gonna paint a certain sections to make look a it more like wingsaber

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with tamo, and I still suggest working on a junker first. Also, are you planning to paint by brush, spray or airbrush? If by brush, thin the paint down a little so that when the paint sits on the surface it can flatten and leave minimal brush strokes. If by spray, light mist coats till you find the desired color depth, and if by airbrush, pretty much combine the 2 previous techniques. Also remember with the spray a nice little tip is to let the can sit in a warm to hot bath to somewhat help loosen and liquefy the paint more so, that way it sprays' more evenly and settles more evenly once sprayed. That isn't necessary, and I haven't done it, but I have heard it helps immensely. I hope that helps out, and seriously, you should definately do trial runs before hand. I would hate to see you have come into posession of the figure and try to repaint it and it ends up like crap.

8. foxfan352

it's by brush and I'm gonna pratice on a junker first just to make sure I got the right shade of gold