Digibash: "Repaint" of 3DBlasphemy Prime...

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Kittie Rose, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Kittie Rose

Kittie Rose Banned

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    good repaint, but still too toy-like and low-budget for the movie.

3. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Not a bad repaint.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's really neat! Looks awesome.

5. Kittie Rose

Kittie Rose Banned

IMO, the bright colours and bionicle-like designs look far more toy-like to me. The worst a "realistic" Prime can look is too truck-like. I never look at a big old truck and think that looks like a toy, so I don't see why rearranged into a bipedal form it would be the same, TBH.
    Anything based off Masterpiece Prime I'd feel similiarly about though, that's very cartony looking. I think this guy had a the right idea going for a more "gritty", aged look. I would love a realistic "Masterpiece Prime" figure though. It would be incredibly cool.

It was difficult to keep the "gritty" look of the original while also making it red. I added in some varations but it's still too clean and shiny.

6. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Looks good... but I hope you have his permission to do this.

WAL

7. prowlheroic

prowlheroic Active Member

It's A Nice Job

8. rebelbot

rebelbot rebelbot

good work

9. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Good repaint, but I always thought that model was junk. I mean, seriously, for one thing, his hands pop out of nowheresville. It's just dumb!

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    So do better. Unless you can't of course.
    I've seen what went into making that model.
    And yes, I hope you got permission.

11. tgg7979

tgg7979 I want the matrix

Ebay:
    Yeah, its really easy to nit pick when people have no friggin clue what goes into these pieces. That artist spent many many many hours creating every aspect of that robot and the video clip that most of us have probably seen. Criticism is an artists best friend, but calling something dumb or junk for no particular reason is not critcism, its just mindless bitchin.

I like the repaint you did here, it does look good in traditional G1 Prime colors. But I agree 100% with WAL, I hope you had his permission to do this, especially before posting it.

12. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Looks good, Kittie, but like others have said, you'll get in trouble if you don't have permission. I'd first contact Blasphemy and see if it's okay to do a repaint.

@ Draven and tgg7979, I definitely agree with your statements on being able to back up criticisms, but unfortunately, people would rather put their two cents in rather than attempt to do better. An excellent example is the vitriol directed at the Movie designs. With so many people complaining about them, you'd think someone would try to do better.

13. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

The thing is I always wonder why nobody tends to look at it in a way that's in between the original design and the movie design. I really dislike the aesthetics of the movie design because I feel the actual character is lost in the redesign 'upgrading' frenzy, while most fan interpretations are too closely based on the exact toys, which makes them look too stiff.

Take this version, it's okay in the recognisability sense, but there could have been done far more to make the waist and hip sections in particular look far more articulate, while beefing up the arms by for example making a different cut than the G1 toy did. If there's some cheating to be done, so be it, it's not like the movie audience will spot that cheating if it's done well.

Another thing is that the head doesn't seem to have a neck while the body is very straight all the way down, which makes him look slightly more fat than imposing. Next to that, the kibble on the sides is in the way of the arms. Stuff like that.

Oth, the movie design put Prime through sooo many changes, that you can't even see what it is he changes into, which will probably look far more like you're cheating with the design.

It had helped had they not made that concept design so depressively ugly. Hope they at least improved that.

14. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

Decent repaint, but I've had sort of a love/hate relationship with that model. While the actual modelling/texturing is magnificent, and very well-done, the design is what bothers me. Like Quintesson #1 said, he looks more fat than imposing, and the rather skinny arms don't help it much. The way the torso and hips are shaped makes it seem like he wouldn't be very mobile outside of a few poses. The design of the legs is fantastic, but it doesn't make for a very realistic truck (granted, this is a problem with nearly EVERY Prime design, so I don't fault the modeller).

As someone who has tried (and, IMO, failed miserably) to model a TF, I can definitely appreciate the work that went into making such a detailed and well-crafted model, but from a design standpoint, I feel it could look better. Personally, I prefer ILM's design. That's just my opinion though, and nothing more.

15. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Looks good.

16. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I love that model. G1 Prime taken to that degree is always awesome!

17. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Well, I for one am working on my own BumbleBee. It hasn't his the 3D stages yet... I'm still working stuff out on paper.

Personally, everyone can nitpick as far as I'm concerned. I don't have to be gourmet chef to not like a plate of snails. Just because someone can't model doesn't mean that they aren't entitled to like or dislike what they see.

WAL