Customs: Repaint gold chrome on Deathsaurus

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by opt1musaber, Jul 12, 2010.

1. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Anyone know how and where to find gold chrome paint and are they readily available at stores? I'm looking to repaint the gold chrome areas of my G1 deathsaurus/deszarus due to tarnish/ozidation. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    As I mentioned in the other thread - a lot of people use alclad to redo chrome.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A good way to mimic gold chrome is to use a silver base coat with multiple layers of clear yellow. It isn't the exact same as gold chrome, but fact is that unless you have it professionally done, it's never going to look like actual chrome of any color.

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've also mentioned before a place called ChromeTechUSA that specializes in re-chroming plastic model car parts. They also do gold plating at a higher price. I've often thought about going to them for a few parts.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've used chrome tech, guy is awesome to deal with, and does wicked work!! I'm not sure about gold chrome, but the silver chrome I had done is amazing..

6. Tigertrack

Thank you, your the first to admit using this guy. I've been curious about his quality. Can you post any pictures of work he's done for you?

I only learned from him last year from my 1/24 scale model car building day's. But yet to try him out. I'm sure his gold is just as outstanding. Tempted to use him for gold-plating several G1 figures like in that one episode.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure can, The parts chromed from him in these photo's are the sun visor halves and the air filters. I've got more coming back from him soon, so I'll post more for you when those come back.

Attached Files:

8. Tigertrack

Awesome! If you don't mind me asking, and I'm sure others are just as curious, how much did he charge you for it and what was your total cost on it for shipping, plating, and return shipping?

9. rampageSSS

rampageSSS All Hail Rampage

News Credits:
    Send a PM to bombatron who runs the web site Concepts in Chrome

He does great work, even helped me chrome the chest and towers on my custom Black Zarak
    [​IMG]

Just look at his web site for his other work

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bombatron does do great work, but when I got my parts back from him, I clear coated them, and the fogged up on me, and the chrome seemed VERY fragile.. Now, I'm not saying he did something wrong, I may have simply rushed him to hard, and the parts may of came out poorly, or maybe it was a bad batch of material used, because he really is a great guy to deal with. However, I have to say that by comparison of product between bombatron and chrome tech is like comparing... I don't even know how to compare them.. The parts I got from bombatron had runs and dull area's even before I clear coated them, as well as the material that he used fills small details, while the parts I got from chrome tech are so close to flawless it's almost unimaginable. Not only were the parts clear as a mirror, but the smallest of details were left perfect. Again, don't get me wrong, for the price bombatron charges, you get a great deal. And I hadn't taken the problem to him because I had other issues with somethings he had done and I had just left it at that. I got my parts back from Chrome tech and I was simply put, shocked. No drips or runs, no fogginess, the only parts that are flawed is that there are, for some reason, tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnny little black specs here and there on a couple of the parts. Marcatron, as for your question as to how much shipped there, chromed and shipped back for $40 I had both gas tanks, 2 air filter, the sun visors, the grill abs, the smoke stacks and the panel that has the step box and holds the front wheel fender on done.The man that you will deal with may be a bit slow on the contact portion of everything, but the wait is well worth it. As for what I was refering to about details from chrome tech versus bombatron is this: When I sent my parts to bombatron, there is the autobot symbol in the hood. When I get the parts back from him, that small detail was flooded. I was understanding about it as the fact is this, it's a tiny area and shit happens. Fine, I was cool with it. When I sent my parts to Chrome tech, I had just sent him some cash with the parts and I was hoping that it wouldnt of been to much more than what I was charged by bombatron, but it was, so I wanted to test what the guy could do for reference sake, so he did the parts I just mentions from him, and that teeny tiny autobot symbol that is on his grill ab thingy just uinder his neck joint was not only visible, but I washed it down with a red paint, and the details took, so now it looks even better than before. One other thing I like a lot about Chrome tech is that his stuff is paintable. I'm not sure what his clear is, but it takes paint like a champ!! Honestly, I'd have to say that Chrome Tech wins hand over foot on bombatron, as sad as it is to say that about the guy as he's simply awesome to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing bombatron at all (where is he anyway??) it's just a simple logical thing, if you can afford it, go with chrome tech..

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    How do you guys feel about gold chrome Kyrlon Fusion, or another such spray can equivalent? I know it's not a 1:1 comparison, but would anyone with the experience wish to comment please? I have a project scarily close to rampageSSS's on the drawing board :) 

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TBH with you SQ7, I've yet to find any kind of spray that is even remotely close to real chrome of any kind. It just doesn't exist imo... Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that you would be happy with a gold chrome either my friend. Sorry to say.

13. Tigertrack

That Black Zarak look's sweet!

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hmm . . . *rubs chin* . . . .

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That wasn't to say that maybe you're GOING for the cartoony gold chrome look... That's a whole different story there... lol. It might be what you're looking for. Otherwise if you ask me, it would probably just look like a metallicy yellow..