Minor/Repaint: Repaint: "Death Valley" Jetfire

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fschuler, Feb 5, 2006.

1. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Finally finished my repaint of Jetfire. I did a G1 Prime in this same style a few years ago, and decided to give this guy the treatment after obtaining a better Jetfire figure. Anyway, I kind of liked the idea of old decaying Autobots still clinging to life in a living hell, i.e., Death Valley. Not that I like to see dying and suffering Autobots, not at all, I just like to think that they'll never die. By the way, I used brushed on Testors Acryl acrylic paints. These paints adhere to the plastic very well, they dry fast, and they are surprisingly durable (it seems to stand up to TF'ing him pretty well, so far). One shortcoming of these paints becomes apparent during the "black washing" process that is used to fill in low spots and give the illusion of shadows and grime; the watered down black just doesn't want to stick, it tends to bead on the surface a bit until I brush it back and forth back and forth to get it to cover the surface. Maybe I'll try a solvent-based paint the next time I do a wash. Otherwise, I'm damn impressed with the quality of the paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sledge

Sledge Well-Known Member

Try a different brand of acrylics. Either Iron Wind Metals, or Vallejo. Iron Wind Metals even sells paint formulated for washes. More akin to ink really.
    The other thing you can do is give the surface a very slight buffing if you are putting a wash straight on plastic.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

That's the reason I dislike doing that kind of wash. I've taken to using water based oil paints. You just paint them on like normal paint, then wipe them back with a paper towel, untill you get the look you want. If you don't like it, you can take it completely off, with a damp paper towel.

Repaint looks great! :thumb 

4. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

That looks awsome, I'd like to see the Combatacons in this style. Because when Starscream created their new bodys in "Starscream's Brigade" he used old, worn and damaged war vehicles.

5. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    I like the look, but I don't see why his visor would have changed colors.

"Didn't anybody ever tell you to check and make sure your optics were clean?"

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks guys,

Maybe I'll incorporate all of these comments into a Death Valley Bruticus or Superion. It actually kind of broke my heart to paint over this Jetfire, much less an actual Bruticus or Superion (I guess I could use the KO versions).

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I love any model kit, Transformer, etc. that's weathered. I think it's a great touch. This is some impressive work, dude. I really like the outcome. Good job. :thumb