Repackaging Originals

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by MagicMan, Jul 12, 2006.

1. MagicMan

MagicMan Member

I'm new here, but was curious to know whether repacking original G1 parts and accessories together(including boxes) and selling it as an Original Complete is acceptable practice. I'm always cautious before buying when I see originals with items that are not consistent (Newer box, but old TF or beat up boxes with missles still on sprews etc. doesn't make sense) If repackaging is not good practice, i don't think there's any way to tell if someone bought the box separate from the TF and tagging on the accessories later into one neat package ... is there? Also, all those people selling Original unused stickers, are those legit and where did they get it from? Thanks.

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am not an 'in box' collector myself, but (for example) if you were to assemble a MiB G1 Sideswipe by getting the figure, weapons, box, bubble, and instructions all from different places, it's still a MiB G1 Sideswipe, and could be appropriately sold as such (if it were indeed 'mint', of course - a term that has been brutally abused on many occasions!).

For the sake of comparison, if you were to purchase a loose, complete G1 Pirhanaking from one of the larger volume eBay sellers, what are the chances that all of those parts, guns, and figures originated from all the same boxes/cards? I'd say the chances of that being the case are guaranteed to be zero. They've come from a ton of different places, from potentially dozens of different figures, and a complete Pirhanaking has been assembled. Again, a perfectly sound practice, as far as I'm concerned.

Obviously, it would be completely inappropriate to knowingly substitute reissue or repro parts without identifying them as such - but if you're using all original components, I can't imagine why what you've described wouldn't be acceptable to most people.