3D Artwork: Renzy and Frumble Custom G1 Cassettes (Scratch Builds)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Eulogy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

Greetings, I'm come all the way from FullMetalHero to TFW in hopes of getting some more exposure. So here's what's going on. I want to make two custom G1 styled cassettes, Frenzy and Rumble (that're being called Renzy and Frumble) that are still scale to size with the original cassettes. That means you'll be able to use them with your choice of Soundwave!

I'll explain what you're looking at. As you can tell, that's a leg... here's my idea: On their legs, the area you see obtrudes from the rest of the leg, but that's not possible to keep in cassette mode, so, those little studs you see, are going to be held in place by the rest of the leg, and it will flip out, giving it a more cartoon accurate look.

If you haven't noticed, I'm 3D modeling this. This will be made and sent to Shapeways for 3D printing, and will be available to everyone. After this, I have to make a sticker sheet. Hopefully, this works out, and we'll all have those cartoon accurate, beautiful couple blessing our shelves with Soundwave.

I'd love, love, some suggestions, tips, advice, constructive criticism, the works, while I do this. If I get no feedback, I might as well not do it. So, thank you in advance.

What you're looking at below is the very nearly finished bottom leg portion.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looks great so far man!

great first post and welcome aboard!

3. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

Thank ya sir :) 

4. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good so far! Are u gonna have more articulation on the body?

5. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

Plan to. Articulating his foot just wouldn't work out for me. He will have a few points of articulation in his thigh and pelvis though. Then later on, the arms and head. I wish I could show everyone the pictures in my head, it seems so perfect.

6. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    As you work on it i am sure we will see it. ;)  I know i look forward to seeing the end result.

7. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's an ingenious transformation-design, I love it! Will the rest of the figure implement these types of pivots and storage?

8. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

Indeed! I plan to have panels, swivels, flips, and most importantly, clean looks! I want it to look like the character, and in micro-cassette mode, look like a convincing cassette. Thanks for the kind words!

9. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    looks good so far, but it seems there will be some clearance issues as the leg in total seems too thin. If you widen it some then it will easily be able to flip which seems to be the effect your going for.

I'm guessing the knee joint is going to be attached to the back leg so the leg transformation your going for will work?

looks decent so far.

can't wait to see where this goes. :) 

10. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heys, from how it looks so far, it's pretty detailed and nice :thumb 

The pictures also intrigue me with the transformation. It's almost gonna look like a masterpiece figure shrunk down to micro-cassette size.

I'm not sure how acquainted you are with Shapeways material, but be careful with the size of your details. Like the thinnest, safest wall thickness is about 1mm for load-bearing sections, so it seems that large wall section at the back of the leg might warp under pressure.

Some supporting struts at the where the walls meet might help.

Also, the grill detail on the shin might not be captured well in anything but Frosted Ultra Detail. In my experience, the smallest detail size that can be reliably captured is about 0.25mm, so that's my working unit for my CADs.

I can't wait to see more :) 

11. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    yeah the legs look awesome but how the hell do you plan on attaching the upper legs?

12. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

The panel on back is lengthened to max right now, I'll be cutting some off soon enough. All pics are WIP peeps, not final ;) 

Actually, that's sorta what I'm hoping for :) 

And thank all of you so far for the kind words and advice, I may be making some revisions already haha.

Some info for my man fakebusker83:

His side leg wall thickness is 0.5mm thick, as is the back part, which will be cut in order to have parts of his upper leg fold into that part. Each grill piece is roughly 0.6mm tall, and 0.3mm deep. I'm working on some revisions now.

13. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

So the finished cassette-bots will be virtually toon accurate? That would really be awesome! :D 

If I have just one suggestion it's that you put the feet on a pivot so they can stay flat on the ground no matter how angled the legs are.

14. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

I'd really love to do that, it's just I don't really know how to make a joint like that... Any advice?

Edit: Got it! I think i've got a good plan :) 

15. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Ideally some kind of ball joint if you could fit it in, or failing that maybe just have the foot revolve on the leg front... but looks like you've already got an answer! ;) 

16. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

Goin' with the ball joint

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Renders go in Fan Art. When you have physical samples, by all means create another post in Customs! So far, the work is looking good; keep us posted!

18. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

Ah! My bad man, I'll put a new one up when these bad boys are done and in my hands :thumb 

More WIP pics

Attached Files:

19. Screamingjet

Screamingjet Well-Known Member

Bah weep gra na wip nini bong :D 

(someone HAD to say it hehehhehe)

Welcome- looks awesome

20. Eulogy

Eulogy Banned

It took me a second to understand why you were saying that. Right. Same to you... where the hell are my goodies?