Minor/Repaint: Removing yellowing - H2O2 & Tetra Acetyl Ethylene Diamine treatment

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Big_Daddy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I finally had a chance to try out the "peroxide/vanish" miracle cure for removing yellowing on toys. The reason for using Vanish Oxi Action is because it contains Tetra Acetyl Ethylene Diamine, which supposedly acts as a booster, and makes the process work just as fine with more watered down Hydrogen Peroxide solutions.

I got a junker Ultra Magnus in a lot the other day, heavily yellowed and worn:

[​IMG]

I've removed his right arm and leg, to experiment on :)  As you can see, everything is really, really yellowed:

[​IMG]

I could only get a bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). The pharmacies here in Sweden have up to 30% H2O2 solutions, but they're illegal to sell for some reason the clerk wouldn't explain to me... It should still do the trick, but it will take a while longer.

[​IMG]

As I had quite a few parts to experiment on, I used about 100 ml of the H2O2 solution, and a teaspoon of Vanish. The mix is baking in the sun out on the balcony, and I'll keep you updated! :) 

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. iam82nz

iam82nz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Fingers crossed

3. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    i tried it on my yellowed parts with 30%.
    works perfectly on white parts,but b carefull on colored parts.....

4. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    An hour into the treatment, there was quite a bit of foaming. I should've used a larger jar, he he :)  I placed some magazines underneath, just in case.

By the way, if you put a lid on top, just place it there loosely. There's a massive build-up of oxygen in the jar, and screwing the lid on could result in the jar bursting because of the pressure! I only put the lid on top of the jar to prevent my cats from getting in contact with the solution.

[​IMG]

This is 6 hours into the treatment. The foam is now gone. No more sun on the balcony today, so the jar is just exposed to normal daylight until tomorrow morning. Am I delusional, or are the parts already a bit whiter?

[​IMG]

5. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    Bah, stupid double posts...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
  7. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I just noticed that the solution removed the chrome on the headlights. Not good.

Luckily it's just a junker I'm experimenting on, hehe :) 

Note for future reference: Don't use this method on chromed parts.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  8. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Soooooooooooooooo??? what were the results??

9. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Ooooh good question, I am also intrigued.

10. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Autobot

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    This treatment might be good for G1 jetfire or other G1s that dont have chromed painted parts....

11. ANONYMOUS

ANONYMOUS Well-Known Member

Hey guys, if I can make a suggestion to those of you doing this or thinking about doing it, it would be that you don't need to actually submerge the items in the liquid. I have been doing this process for awhile (lots of sunburned transformers here in Florida). I use a 10 gallon fish aquarium, put about a half inch of the peroxide on the bottom of the tank, then put a small wire shelf with feet that sits about an inch above the liquid (there are small wire shelves in the kitchen organization area at Wal-marts that fit 10 gal fish tanks perfectly), then put a glass top on the tank. Then stick it out in the sun and presto... The fumes alone will do the work without destroying the chrome and decals. However, steel screws and pins are prone to oxidizing, so you need to take that into consideration before starting this. Oh, and don't breathe the fumes when you take the glass top off...

12. convoymagnus

Ebay:
    Hey Anonymous, I live in Miami, Where do you buy the peroxide? what is the concentration, can i get it at walgreens?

13. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    concentration should b between 3%-30%

30% will burn your skin badly-so wrok with gloves.

3% is avilable in any pharmacy.

14. convoymagnus

Ebay:
    Well, this post was lost in time, and we really need a follow up here as I know of other forums have their thread on this. Ours was started but results never posted so here is my 2 dollar!

I have 2 jetfire figures with medium to sever yellowing, so I planned to test the whitening method.

materials:

1-guinea pig (jet fire)
    1-glass jar (large enough to put the pieces in)
    1-bottle regular 3% peroxide bought at walgreens
    2-3 days waiting (took 2 extra days because it was cloudy those days so it was a total of 5 days)

and these are the results:

before
    [​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

before

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

before

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

there are still traces of yellowing in the parts that were more affected but not noticeable at first sight.

Verdict IT WORKS! my second jetfire is in the jar now, will upload pics when done.

Just some point to consider:

1-peroxide alone will affect paint somehow just a little but but will.

2-I tried to boost the process on the chest part as it was really yellow, and was taking too long so in the 4th day I added OXI CLEAN to the peroxide bath AND IT REMOVED ALL THE PAINT so I repaintd it. So do not use OXI CLEAN to reinforce the process unless you are willing to retouch or re-paint the parts that loose it.

15. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

So then this also works as paint stripper? May have to try this.

16. convoymagnus

Ebay:
    The peroxide alone will affect the paint discoloring it, now the peroxide plus OXICLEAN plus sun exposure will lift the paint.

17. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

As Big Pete mentioned earlier in the thread, the vacu metal came off his Ultra Magnus headlights. The reason for this is because vacu-metalizing is aluminium based, and peroxide or Oxi Clean will eat right through it.

18. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BigPete,

Is it possible that this process of your's can work on this ROTF: HFTD Voyager class Starscream from the ROTF: HFTD Walmart Exclusive "Starscream's Assault" 2-Pack?:

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    If you add some glycerin to the mix to make it a kind of "sludge", you can paint it onto the effected parts too - just gotta wipe it off when you're done/out of the sun/UV. Might help with smaller detailed areas where you don't want the paint effected.

20. Big_Daddy

News Credits:
    Hey guys, so sorry for not following up with the results in this thread; I simply forgot about it!

The junker Ultra Magnus has since then been sold so I can't post any pictures, but the method did work!

As I said earlier, all the chrome vanished though, so don't do this on chromed parts. It took several weeks before the parts turned white, but I suspect that was due to the weak peroxide solution I used, combined with bad weather. I will probably do this again if I ever get any more yellowed figures, but I would a) get a stronger peroxide solution, and b) use a UV light instead of relying upon sunlight.

I can't really say anything about the oxi vanish affecting paint, as Ultra Magnus didn't have any paint on him to begin with, hehe :) 

@OmarJT82: Sure you can, but you do so at your own risk :)