Customs: removing stickers??

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by thyvipera, Apr 12, 2009.

1. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i looked in the how-to section, and didn't see anything.

so is there an easy way to remove stickers? and sticker residue?

2. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Heya, u know those sticky tapes? Just use it to remove the residue as u would remove dust from ur shirt or blazer. Stick and pull. As for the stickers, I would usually rip it out. Then I would take those adhesive tapes and 'stick and pull' at the residue. WOrks all the time.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Is it an area you're going to paint over?

Some stickers are a pain if they are paper type. Those, I just work in some alcohol (usually 91%) I apply the alcohol generously, let it soak in while working on a different area. Get them all wet and alcoholly. I usually also use a stiff brush and jab the bristles into the adhesives to collect them into 1 area, then scoop it off onto a clean paper towel.

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

thanks sabby, i'll try that

yep, everytime i need to remove some stickers, they're the paper type, and it takes forever and is a pain in the @ss. i was hoping i would post this question, and someone would reply "yea, just use "so-and-so" and it takes them right off", lol, but that would be just too easy :) 

thanks for the tips guys

5. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    WD-40, or goo gone.

After peeling the sticker, goo gone will take the residue off without damaging the paint or plastic underneath.
    Its suposed to soak through the sticker and release it, but I have found it easier just to peel it, then apply. Within a couple minuits, it softens up that residue and it wipes off.

WD-40 also does a great job with that sticky stuff, It doesnt harm paint, or most plastics (not foam). The only drawback, is it leaves a residue itself, but is easily cleaned up.

6. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    use lighter fluid. i think you can google it.
    it evaporates and does not harm paint.
    leaves no residue.
    alcohol removed some paint for my figures.
    could be just me though.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I second these. Goo Gone works great--I've used it on stickers like this as well as those retarded stickers that Gamestop sticks on EVERY videogame case. Numerous PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360 titles I've bought over the years can't be wrong.

If you get Goo Gone (Wal-Mart has it), do the peel what you can, then use Goo Gone to wet and wipe the rest. I usually use a paper towel folded over a few times, then dabbed with some Goo Gone, then wipe. It might take more than once, depending on how old the sticker is/how long it's been there. It also has a lot of other purposes it can be used for--check a bottle for details.

I will say I've also used WD/40, but it's oil-based, so it definitely leaves a residue (like turboedguy said). I always have some handy (mostly for work around the house and my SUV), but I don't know that you'd use it a lot for customs work.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Goo Gone for the residue. Alcohol also works really well. I'd also use a toothbrush to scrub some of the leftovers off.