Customs: Removing Stickers from Chrome

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Snaku, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just wanted to ask if anybody has any experience with this. I'm planning on starting a small restoration project on a G1 Megatron soon (ordered a few broken ones for parts and should be able to assemble a complete copy). I'll need to remove the stickers and replace them with a new set (stickers always look like crap on these old used figures), but I'm worried about damaging the chrome in the process. Does anybody know if Goo Gone or Goof Off or other sticker removers are safe for chromed plastic? I'll probably already have some chrome wear to fix but I'd rather avoid making it worse if possible.

2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found a post in another thread that said lighter fluid was the thing to use. Worked reasonably well but I must've done it wrong cuz the chrome under the stickers got a little messed up. Unfortunately, I'm all out of test pieces and only have the real Megatron pieces left. I think if I take it slower and let the lighter fluid really soak into the stickers, it'll probably go better but I'd still appreciate any suggestions if anybody has them.