Customs: Removing RtS Windcharger's head?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ramrider, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm working on a 'bash from Windcharger, and he's going to need a new head. Trouble is, his existing head isn't just popped onto the ball joint as far as I can tell; it's a two-part head. And it's not held together with a screw, but with a flat-head pin, and those things are notoriously difficult to remove.

It may be that I can just pop the head off with some levering, but before I get too brutal with it (it's a nice head, and I'd prefer to keep intact for my bits box if I can), I was just wondering if anyone else had removed theirs successfully, and if so, how?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Retail stores here are doing a good job of removing his head. They're doing an equally exceptional job with the rest of him :D 

:( 

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Iirc, the socket is actually quite well formed, but like all ball joints, there must be a gap wider than the stem, quite a bit wider. So, I'd guess just pull. If you turn his head around, put a flathead screwdriver underneath and lever, it should cause minimal damage to the head.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I've seen a grand total of two Windchargers; I passed on one in Wilko's last week, before I got the idea for the 'bash, then snagged this one in ASDA on Monday. That's one more than I've seen of Jazz, who I actually want multiples of! :p 

Yeah, it just took a little persistence. That socket was clearly not designed to just pop on like most, though; it was obviously assembled round the ball and pinned in place. It took a lot of levering; it looked almost like the whole neck was going to detach!

Eventually, though, the head flew off, and I lost it for a few minutes. I'm glad I don't plan to pop it back on, though, I don't think I have the strength..! :lol 

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If you can happen to find me two Windchargers, I'd be more than happy to pick up a couple of Jazz's and do an even trade. Seriously, I know where I can get a bunch of him right now.

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    someone popping the head off a Windcharger makes me cry, given that I can't find one =[ I'm curious, what are you gonna do with it? lol

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Srsly? I'll see what I can do. They're not exactly abundant, but I've seen a few around. I've gotta go into town tomorrow anyway, so I'll have a look then.

Almost how I've felt about all the Jazz repaints I've seen and reports of Wreck-Gar army-building. :p 
    He's getting remade into Ground Hog, with a few alterations (spoiler, exhausts etc), and probably a modded PCC Huffer head.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Sorry, IG; I checked most of my regular TF haunts and came up blank on Windchargers this time round. I'll try and keep an eye out, though.
    Ironically (I think), I did manage to snag another Jazz (probably my Kick-Off one) :p 
    So, only one more to go...

9. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

I had the same problem getting the little buggers noggin to come off...
    and I STILL haven't been able to remove the pin that would allow access to the screws that keep his torso together (I want to fit an LED in his head)! That's one SOLID little scout class TF!
    Out of curiosity, what do you think of the sliding leg panel that makes his bot mode legs thinner? I love the idea in theory, but I have a hell of a time tfing him to his alt mode cause the panels keep sliding. I'm actually thinking of gluing them in place!

10. Treadshot A1

Yeah, those panels are annoying. Frankly, they work well to thin his legs out, but they do have a bad habit of sliding around when you try to transform him. I didn't glue mine, but i can't say i'm not tempted to.

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

They bugged me at first, but I think I've got 'em sussed now. The trick seems to be to put your thumb and finger on the outside of the rear window, and the inside of his knee, and squeeze them that way. It actually seems to click into place when it gets to the right position.
    I will say I'm glad I don't want to make any major mods to this guy, as he really doesn't seem to be designed to come apart easily. :p 

12. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is one solid little bugger. In some ways, one of the best scouts out there because he doesn't feel like he can pop apart at the slightest tug. An awesome TF for kids.
    Still wish I could get that F%^^^DS$ing pin out of there- there seems to be plenty of room in the torso for an LED setup. I've tried several times, and now I'm just afraid of wrecking him...especially considering how damn hard he seems to be to find!

13. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    I didnt have any real problems getting his head on or off,
    i remember applying pressure using a screw driver wedged befind his head and under the fr4ont car section, and yes i did hesitate at the crucial moment, but yeah i preceeded and off it popped with no damage,
    i found the head about 5 meters away hiding in the corner,
    A fair bit of pressure is needed to get the little sucka back on tho, but no damage,

just do it.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Oh, I have no plans to put the head back on. :p  The whole point of removing it was to give him a new head (from PCC Huffer, as it happens).

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Can I have the head when you get it off? I wanna use it for a kitbash. Or do you think his eventual repaint will use the same head? It's bound to be easier to get than Windcharger himself.

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Sure; I don't have any definite plans for it, it's just destined for the bits box.
    It's already off, and like I said, he's got a PCC Huffer head now (which I'm in the process of remodelling).

17. Treadshot A1

So? Rook? Tailgate? Who is it?

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Someone else. :p 
    I'll probably post a thread once his head's sorted; I think that's all he needs before I start on the paintjob. :)