Customs: Removing Rivets from G1 Toys?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Lunar Archivist, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

My apologies in advance if this isn't in the right section to be asking this, but I have no idea where else would be appropriate to post this request.

Is there a guide or thread anywhere in Creative that explains how you can remove rivets from G1 Autobot cars' tires or from Headmaster and Targetmaster joints? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :) 

2. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    This is on general rivet removal. I have never taken rivets out of a G1 toy. Generally you want to find a drill bit the same size as the center shaft of the rivet and carefully drilling either the head or the bottom off of the rivet. I'm not sure about G1s, but I know Alternators use a pin, not a rivet to hold the wheels on. I'm thinking G1s might, too. If that's the case do a search, there used to be a very good topic on pin removal. Good luck.

3. Lunar Archivist

Thanks for the tip! :) 

It's unfortunate, though...I was looking to disassemble some Autobot Mini Vehicles - specifically Huffer and Windcharger - in order to repair some junkers and rechrome some parts, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the wheels and take the legs apart with breaking or damaging anything.

I tried looking for the pin removal thread you mentioned, but I believe the forum's search function has been disabled. I don't suppose you have a link, do you? :( 

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/201900-table-contents.html

5. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Wow!

Just what I need! :bowdown: 

6. Lunar Archivist

Thanks Superquad7, I'll check it out.

Does anyone reading this know how to diassemble G1 Hun-Grrr's upper arms? Do I have to yank the pin out after removing the screws or just keep pulling?