Removing paint smudges off a prepainted part?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shark Jumper, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    I finally got a hold of an AM/SG Thundercracker, but he has some minor black paint smudges in some areas including the area circled. Is there some safe way to fix this without ruining the purple paint?

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    No, sorry. If it won't come off with a fingernail, it's probably there for good.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Nothing that's worth the risk. If it works on the paint you want to remove, it also works on the paint you don't want to remove.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you're feeling brave, you can try using some Q-tips and toothpicks along with some rubbing alcohol to remove the smudge. The danger here is that you may end up removing some of the underlying paint in the process. It's not impossible (as I've done it a few times with figures), but it does require some care :) 

5. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Have you considered just adding more black paint on top of the purple? It would probably be easier than trying to just remove the purple layer.

6. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

A black paint smudge? It's ruined! I guess your only option is to get rid of it. I'll take it off your hands for 5 bucks.

Seriously though, I'm with Supersquad7. Rubbing alcohol is the only thing I can think of that might be just barely strong enough to remove a paint smudge but still weak enough to leave the main paint. But it could still backfire on you. I think it's a gamble. You have to ask yourself if removing the smudge is worth the possibility of ruining the paint underneath. Personally, I would leave it alone.

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it possible to remove the FP symbols from the FP Insecticons without ruining the figure? Does anyone know this or has tried it themselves? I want to add some clear symbols to these guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also got a couple classic figures with some paint issues. Take a look at the pictures and any tips or help is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. OptimusScream

OptimusScream 5 SECOND LEADER

News Credits:
    pink gum eraser that only smuges should work
    thats how i got the stripes of of classic and rts bb

9. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess it's okay, he's a jet, he probably gets a little scuff and dirt while flying I guess. It's barely noticeable from far away.

10. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    @Trailbreaker77: You can take care of that extra paint on Ramjet's landing gear by using either rubbing alcohol or lightly scraping it away with a hobby knife (It doesn't scratch the plastic-unless you aren't gentle enough).

Sorry though Shark Jumper, I can't think of any way to remove that paint without ruining what's underneath. If you have the skills and a matching purple, you might be able to paint over the smudge.

11. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What weirds me is, the entire torso piece is casted in pink, but they painted the entire body painting some parts pink rather than using the casted color.