Customs: Removing paint from transparent parts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ^o^CORVUS^o^, May 26, 2011.

1. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I need to remove paint from transparent plastic, namely the "wing" portions of a Classics Megatron. I know that 91% Isopropyl can cause the plastic to become brittle.

The paint in question is Krylon fusion. What would be the best way to remove said paint?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    will you re-paint the parts? if not (because I am not sure if this will fog them) try a little of pinesol in a hidden place, and check if the plastic is not crazed or melted )leave some pinesol on the part for at least 20 minutes) if the plastic does not melt on that spot then submerge the whole part in pinesol and keep an eye on it, in around 40 minutes it should start lifting the paint, maybe even faster.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I let my Classics Ultra Magnus windshield soak in a small cup full of 91% alcohol and if you check my WIP on him, you'll see that it didn't fog up or damage it. I think if you do it a bit at a time, it should be ok. Maybe soak for 30 minutes, then pull it out and scrub with an old toothbrush and paper towels. Then drop it back in and go again. Repeat until you have it like you want it.

I had originally painted that windshield in Testors Acryl Red back in '07 and it came off with some soaking and scrubbing. Not sure how well this method works for removing Krylon paints though. That may have bonded in a way that may have left the actual plastic scarred or melted a bit underneath.

Good luck and I hope you get it stripped, man.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    alcohol might destroy some parts. apply it very sparingly. unfortunately - you'll need to really rub the hell out of the parts to pull the paint off. I learned the hard way that alcohol destroys clear plastic with the skywarp I just posted. I actually had to buy TWO of them because the 1st figure, I soaked the tail wing in alcohol, and it was brittle as hell, literally no good.

I used light alcohol, and sanding. Sanded with 400, then 800, then 1200, then polished the parts.

5. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    convoymagnus: you, I will be re-painting the parts.

Thanks everyone, I will try the suggestions! Much appreciated :) 

6. Fanboy

Fanboy Banned

personally i'd say rubbing alcohol is a great way of removing paint