Customs: Removing paint from plastic

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by mikeszekely, Feb 12, 2018.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I picked up both the Zeta Aerialbots, and if you guys have seen pictures they have silver thighs, feet, and on their chests. I personally think that white would be more accurate, and it looks like it's silver paint over white plastic. What's the easiest way to remove the silver paint without damaging the plastic? Or would it be easier to just paint over the silver paint with white paint?

2. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

If I had a dime for every post asking about this, haha (jk). There's already a thread or two about this up in the Tutorial section (always check), but all you need to do is disassemble your figs soak the parts in 91% isopropyl alcohol for at least half an hour and scrub them down with a Magic Eraser/microfiber sponge. If it's only one section of a part you want to strip try to submerge only that end by holding it up with tape, or else go at it with a q-tip and a toothbrush. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy, no need to paint unless you really want to.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the tip. Well, the feet and chest parts are pinned on, at least on Fireflight (who I've already started to disassemble) so I'll see if I can get them out. Thighs shouldn't be a problem.

4. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

IDK...Last time I test used Alchohol on plastics it didnt end well. Good thing they were test pieces.

If you dont mind waiting a looooong time (one day or so) you can get an oven cleaner spray. Spray the parts and seal them for a day in a plastic bag without air intake. The paint will fall off with a soft rub.

5. Yaujta

Yaujta Breadchildren. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alcohol only really damages clear plastic, but yeah, the potential is there. I use it nearly all the time and haven't had any issues whatsoever, but it really all depends on the material.

I second the oven cleaner idea. Used that to remove chrome and it worked nicely. Didn't get it all, but a follow up in alcohol finished the job.

Brake fluid works for metal pieces if acetone is too harsh for you, but like acetone, never use it with plastic.

6. GenerationsMetroplexsux

GenerationsMetroplexsux Member

91% Iso Alcohol. 98% will eat the paint and plastic. And a jar or container with a lid. And you need to shake the jar every few minutes. If the paint is being really stubborn, you can add a small amount of mineral spirits. Do not soak the soft, rubbery plastics. Watch this....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

I'm partial to using de-greaser for metals and chrome, about 12 hours in a small container of Greased Lightning pulled the paint off my MP Shockwave's feet pretty easily. Pretty sure it won't damage plastics too bad either, since I was using a tupperware cup.

Actually no it definitely won't because I left the hose in there for a while too