Customs: Removing "JTFR" from Jetfire--something better than rubbing alcohol?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by David Hingtgen, Jul 4, 2009.

1. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I started removing the big red lettering on my Jetfire, and "rubbing alcohol on a q-tip" is going very slowly, and I'm getting diminishing returns with each new "rubbing session"--I think it may be impossible to totally remove the lettering. I've "faded" it quite a lot, but it's getting to the point that on a nigh-microscopic level, due to the fairly rough/bumpy finish of the plastic itself, all the "high points" paint is gone, but the paint settled in the "low points" is still there.

I've read about acetone, but have also read that acetone eats the plastic on some ROTF toys, and I'm loathe to experiment on one this expensive. Any tips/suggestions, or should I just try keep rubbing with a q-tip for the rest of the night and hope?

2. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    i recommend you buy some modelling thinner from hobby shops.
    it is designed to work on plastic model kit eg. ABS so it will work on jetfire.
    it will not melt or destroy the plastic like acetone.
    They are sold in 400ml bottles and can last a while if you are not wasteful.
    This will take care of the paint trapped in the troughs aka (low points)
    This stuff is practically designed to strip paint from ABS.
    Try it!
    [​IMG]
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_d18--oLWmeg/SccV1FAOG3I/AAAAAAAAARU/ME0osq4nP3c/s320/T108_mr+leveling+thinner_400ml.jpg

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Paint over it?

4. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    I think I actually have some Mr Color thinner. I'll try that tonight. However, most model kits are PS, not ABS.

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I'm kinda curious of the type of rubbing alchohol your using. If it's 91% then I would move up to the other recommendations, but if it's only 71% try a stronger alchohol forst. :thumb 

6. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    I'm using 91%. (I can't find 97% any more). Tried some more--"diminishing returns" is certainly apt---to get much paint up now I have to rub so hard I start burnishing the plastic--which defeats the point. Having a smooth glossy black spot on the spine looks even more out of place than the red lettering.

Mr Color thinner certainly works, but it rapidly starts leaving a "haze ring"---I got some "additional fading" but feared it too would lead to a sheen/finish difference on the bare plastic. (I do not want to repaint the entire plane just for the sake of having a few spots match)

I think I may just stop where they are now---very heavily faded. It's actually quite appropriate for Jetfire. Might even do that to the Decepticon insignia, too, to emphasize the wear/scratches.