removing blunt screws

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sunstreakerx5, Mar 31, 2012.

1. sunstreakerx5

sunstreakerx5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I need some help removing two very small blunt phillips screws. Its from a vintage Micro Machine I had as a kid. This one has a feature which I dont if it still works now but if you press the back axle down, it lights up the front and back lights. Curious to know if I can even change the batteries.
    I am having issues removing the two back screws. the screws really flex around and feel very soft as if it feels iam just mushing and making the screws worse. Iam using one of those useless optical screwdrivers that have very little torque on the handles. Any tips or ideas to remove it would be great.

Attached Files:

2. joshua

joshua Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would use a flat blade screwdriver that fits instead of a phillips head.

Also, using some sort of leverage from underneath the whole carriage will help draw the screw out as you are using the carriage to help raise it out.

: )

3. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    stick a magnet on the shaft of your screwdriver. This will help draw it out too. I usually do this for small screws that I don't want to drop and lose once they come out.

If the threads are stripped, one way is to use a drill to make a hole off to the side of the screw head, then use some needle-nose pliers to get a grip in the hole and on the + shape, twist and pull.

4. sunstreakerx5

News Credits:
    Sorry for the late update. Just been busy with job interviews :eek: 

good news, managed to remove the screws with a decent phillips head screwdriver with the help of my bro. The problem was my screw set kit was rubbish and was flexing like hell.

The bad news is, I dont what type of battery it needs. Now of course I did check the very rusted battery and it said RM41 on it. I checked on google and getting no where. I showed it to my local hardware store guy where I get all my Cell batterys and normally hes very awesome but even he didnt know what type of cell battery it is. He did mention that it could be either a AG12 or a LR43 battery. worried that it might be too much power or the dimensions might be incorrect.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I reckon a battery the right size would be fine, at that size power is not really going to be an issue.

But if it explodes don't blame me.

6. joshua

joshua Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    As long as it fits it'll work. Those button batteries are almost always 1.5V.

8. sunstreakerx5

News Credits:
    Just thought I give an update but good news, battery arrived in the post and it works epically!!! I did size up the rusted battery dimensions to make sure it wasnt too big or small but fits in exactly like the original battery. it was a LR43 cell battery.

here it is in the dark:
    [​IMG]

You have to push near the back axel to make the lights work:
    [​IMG]

I was worried the light bulb would have blown out since 1989. it does look really cool. They made the body out of clear plastic and painted very thinly on top so the entire car lights up as well.

cool thanks for the info. I got worried about that but notice some of the cell batteries had the same voltage.

I laughed soo hard :D