Customs: Removing Alt Hound's rollbars

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NeilJam, Jun 22, 2006.

1. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I am trying to make my Alternator Hound look more like the G1 character. The first step for me is removing the rollbars. I have already removed the back ones by taking out the pins above the rear tires.

What is the best way to remove the rest? I was thinking of taking the pins out of the seats to remove the center section of the rollbars, but I would have to pop the seats out to do this. Anyone know if I'll have much trouble getting them back in if I do it this way?

As for the bars connected to the windshield I assume I will have to cut them off somehow as I don't see any connectors to remove there.

2. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the ones connected to the windshield can be pulled out with a little elbow grease. I pulled mine out for a bash that I am doing.

3. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I did a complete removal of the roll cage on both Hound and Swindle, including removal of the post holes on the windshield.
    You can see what I mean here:

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic of Hound, minus his rollcage

[​IMG]
    And here's Swindle, done in similar fashion

I also have full galleries of both customs, which I have on my website, that I'll be sharing here as soon as I get time :) .

Hope this helps some, NeilJam, and if you want to ask any questions, feel free, I'll do all I can to help answer them.

-Viper 486 out.

4. NeilJam

OK, I got most of the bars off of the windshield. Now I just have the stubs on there that I will have to do something with and the middle section to remove. How did you take that part off? Did you remove the seats then the pins?

5. NeilJam

Nevermind that last post. I managed to pull the seats up enough to push the pin through without actually removing them. Just gotta get rid of the stubs on the windshield and then the bars will all be gone.

6. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Just shave them off with an exacto.
    Take your time, and you wont have any trace they were ever there.

7. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

exacto knife? not risky at all?

8. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I didnt have any problem.
    Like my post said, take your time.
    Besudes, a rushed job is not only dangerous when using a knife, it will potentialy make the piece look like crap.

I wasnt sufggesting putting the knife at the base of the post and just applying pressure.
    If I have somehow misled, I apologise.

I shaved the posts completely off one shaving at a time.
    It took me a while to do, but in the end, the result made the effort worth it.

Other than carefully carving the posts off with a knife, I don't know of any other way to get it off so clean with such little effort. ;)