Removing a Broken Peg from a Hole?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Facemeat, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I just received a lot of G1 figures in the mail, one of them being Powermaster Optimus. He's in great shape (he's got the tightest joints I've ever seen on any figure), however once I transformed him into truck mode I noticed that the peg to connect the cab to the trailer was broken off, and worse yet, it was stuck in the connector. So, anybody have any tips for removing it?

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Use a small screw and screw it in a little bit, then grab the head of the screw with a pair of pliers and pull.

Can't really think of anything better.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The PMOP I had as kid had that exact problem. I ended up leaving the peg in there but drilling a hole into it, drilling a hole into the connector arm and glued a steel post into the arm for a new connector peg. It was probably the first mod I ever did.

Not the prettiest solution, but it will never break again.

4. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Well, you could always drill it out (just drill into the broken peg - just enough to weaken it and it will fall out or it will be obliterated entirely), but this can be quite tricky. I'd try Kusanagi's method first since that sounds plausible.

5. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have that issue with my Fort Max (radar peg stuck in hole in chest). I thought about the drill, but decided that I'd probably end up doing more harm in the process. If you use a small enough drill bit (and can find a small enough screw), I think Kusanagi's idea should work. You're talking about needing to drill a pretty precise hole, though.

6. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I have had this issue.

I unfolded a paperclip and heated the tip until red hot, and pushed it gently into the peg just enough to make a small hole. Then I screwed a small screw into the hole just enough so that the threads had it gripped. I gently pulled the screw out and the peg with it.

7. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

All good suggestions - I've got the exact same problem with the exact same toy, so I may try this tonight. It'd be cool to finally be able to hook the cab and trailer up right on PM Prime.

8. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I was going to suggest something like this

9. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with BW Fuzor Bantor, his weapon broke it's peg in his arm, so I put a bit of super glue and put the parts together, some minutes later I tried to take his weapon out and it came with it's peg, the best part it's that the line of the break is so thin that it's not noticeable unless you look from really near

10. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

All excellent ideas, but this one sounds like the one I'll be trying. I don't trust myself with powertools around an otherwise mint figure like this. Thanks for the suggestions!