Remolds....Better or Worse ???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CETERUS PRIME, May 17, 2011.

1. CETERUS PRIME

CETERUS PRIME Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about remolds lately, for example and particularly, movie verse Optimus Prime. No doubt, everyone can agree that Leader class ROTF/Buster Prime has been the best version for the main man as far as accuracy is concerned, but what about the smaller class figures ? Every year, the manufacturers remold the characters, sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse. We've had Voyager battle blades HFTD Optimus Prime, not bad, but not nearly as good as ROTF Leader Prime. Now with DOTM in full swing, we have DOTM Cyberverse Commander Prime, DOTM Deluxe class Prime, DOTM Voyager class Prime, DOTM Ultimate class Prime, and DOTM Jetwing Prime being the most accurate version in the DOTM series. My question is this : Why doesn't Hasbro/Takara just make a smaller scale version of ROTF Leader class Prime and add gimmicks and paint apps, or make slight changes like his new abs, and just go from there ? Is it due to the complex transformation process ? Or is it because they don't think the fans would be interested in a near identical, smaller scale version of their most popular characters ? Personally, I would much rather have accurate versions of each class figure. For me, none of the newest DOTM Prime figures look anything like Optimus Prime in the movies, except for the recent pics of Jetwing Prime, however, that figure still doesn't have the paint accuracy of Buster Prime. I just find it odd how many figures keep getting better, while Optimus Prime, one of their best selling figures, seems to be getting worse.

2. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

Maybe optimus looks different in DOTM?

3. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I like how they manage to find ways of doing the same design differently. Makes for more variety. I have ROTF Optimus and Battle Blades Optimus, so it doesn't matter so much to me if the other Optimus figures are perfect.

If I get other Primes, it'll be because they're interesting because they're a different experience.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because that would so not work at all, and be just about as far from cost-effective as you can get.

You can't just shrink an incredibly complex toy. Aside from the fact that it be a miserable task to transform, adding gimmicks would further bog it down and make it unfun. That's why DOTM toys have not been as ludicrously complex as HFTD, because those weren't fun for kids, they were a chore.

5. CETERUS PRIME

Aside from his "Abs", he doesn't look all that different, and so far, none of the DOTM figures look remotely close to what he looks like in TF3. Take a look at Dual Model Kit Optimus Prime in some of the threads for a detailed look :) 

The problem is they're not "managing" to get it done, not nearly as good as the ROTF figure. Variety yes, but a totally different looking figure, no.

I disagree. They could easily scale it down and make some of the parts less complex, without some of their articulation to make the figure more cost effective, yet still keep accuracy to the movie figure AND keep us interested. They're not even making an attempt to keep the paint apps in check with regards to accuracy, and this is the reason I'm not buying into DOTM Optimus Prime, except for the possible purchase of Jetwing Prime. Hopefully we'll see an accurate, transforming version of DOTM Optimus Prime with all the bells and whistles, but after seeing DOTM Ultimate Prime and his skinny legs and wheels on his arms, it's not looking good.

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    The big issue with your entire post is that you are comparing different sizes, molds, lines, and even markets (what Takara does and what Hasbro can do are two VASTLY different things).

Buster Prime, with all his paint apps, ended up costing MORE than a base Leader Prime because paint DOES cost money. Jetwing Prime didn't get all those fancy paint apps because he ended up coming with a big ass corpse backpack.
    That said, both are basically the same mold so there wouldn't be anything stopping you from taking the Jetwing Prime gear and slapping it onto the Buster Prime release.

But as Split Lip said, Hasbro is very clearly aiming to a younger audience with the newest round of toys. But something I posted many times when the first pics appeared of Voyager Prime is this:
    How can Hasbro really improve what they've done between Leader and the Battle Blades figures? AT this point, I really don't think they could get anymore accurate while still maintaining the toys in either price or safety.

And for comparing the Jetwing figure: As of right now, the figure is NOT slated for a domestic US/Hasbro release, and if it does come out here, it will be a store exclusive as the figure does NOT fit into the established price ranges for the brand.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    They did that. It's called Battle Blades Prime.

Uh, yeah, they are. DOTM figs actually have quite a bit of paint, but it's used up making the vehicle modes or large parts of the body the right colours. (look at Voyager Sentinel, who's got plenty of paint, but few details because so much is used covering grey or clear plastic) Most figures have parts cast in the correct colours anyway.

We most certainly will. I can't believe anybody who's been into Transformers for even the last two years could ever think these first two waves are all we'll ever get for this line.

Seriously? He's based around one gimmick (which he does rather well) so of course there's going to be compromise.

And again, you're seriously basing an entire line's future on one figure?

8. CETERUS PRIME

I'm just saying that the DOTM Optimus Primes don't look like the movie figure, while some of the others look more accurate, for example DOTM Ironhide. I really wanted to want the DOTM Optimus Prime figures because I'm a BIG Optimus Prime fan, but I just can't buy a figure that doesn't look as accurate as what I already have. I guess I was hoping for an Ab Bustin Buster Prime with wings and trailer all in one, now that would be the Ultimate Optimus Prime !

9. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    ... the point is, I already have the perfect Optimus figure, twice. I don't need another, and I don't want another unless it has something substantially different to offer.

Honestly I think DOTM Ironhide could've been a hell of a lot better. To date I think the deluxe might just be the most accurate representation of that character.

10. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    The problem? Buster Prime is already a premium figure (I think it was like 30% more expensive than the original Leader?), so he's already something like $75. Then add a proper trailer, with bells and whistles, there's at least $40 to the cost. And the corpse pack, so that is another $35-45. And factor in new packaging, so you are looking at a premium item with a price in excess of $150.

And it is NOT an item Hasbro will do, so you'll have to hope Takara will (which is a possibility, granted). Which means you won't be able to go to Walmart to get it, and international shipping isn't getting cheaper.

11. CETERUS PRIME

I wouldn't mind it at all if Takara would do it, I already paid close to $100 for RA-24 Buster Prime from TFSource, and it was WELL worth it !!! I'd even pay a premium for a smaller version if Takara would do it, but not these weird looking, inaccurate versions.