Reminded of the genius of Bob

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In what seems to rapidly be becoming an annual 'tradition' for me, I began rereading the entire Marvel (US&UK) TF saga last week right from the beginning. Now just read "Crisis of Command" (dang, that's a great story).

Anyway, as I was reading those early issues, I was reminded once again of the huge contribution Bob Budiansky made to the franchise, as well as just what an engaging, entertaining, fun, pacey (take note of all of these, IDW) tale he could pen as well. The arc that ran from "New Order" to "Prime Time" really is a fantastic Transformers story.

Bob deserves so much praise and appreciation from TF fans, and it always annoyed me that for years he was basically dismissed and insulted. Fortunately, that's changed recently (going hand-in-hand with the 'revelation' that - gasp! - Furman ain't the comics writing God many assumed either).

Of course, Budiansky isn't perfect, and some of his stories were plain daft (though I like some 'daft' TF stories...the franchise has a tendency to take itself, particular its G1 incarnation, far too seriously) but really - he created the definitive characterisations for Ratchet, Shockwave, Blaster and the like, as well as introducing the Matrix, and other assorted TF elements we all now take for granted.

Heck, beyond the comics themselves, he created a lot of the backstory and a whole heap of characterisation profiles for the toys. The man's contribution is unequalled.

So, thanks Uncle Bob. Sorry that when IDW brought you back all they gave you to work on was a silly adaptation of a 20+ year old animated movie.

2. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    Bob is the father of "Transformers". He should never be dismissed.

3. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

That guy never gets the credit he deserves. He's at least as much for Transformers as Floro Derry(sp?) He deserves as much credit. Sideswipe loves Bob!
    I mean, the guy NAMED Megatron for chrissake!

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bobs awesome. He laid the groundwork.

5. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    Forgot to mention that I thought Bob's presentation of Prowl was really good too, esp. in his leadership role.

Always annoyed me that Furman turned Prowl into a bit of a d*ck later in the run for the sole reason of contrast with "wow, Grimlock's so ace and he's so much cooler and more of a badazzzz leader than Prowl!"

6. ItsStarscream

ItsStarscream ImmortalSeekerGod

Grimlock is Simon's fav TF. I would imagine that he put in a little artistic license and I would think you can't really blame him for that.

Bob rules. Its always been a bummer how hes been so dismissed in the fandom. There is really no reason for it. Its because of him that we have most of the names (Like Starscream among others already mentioned) and bios and such.

Now I heard many moons ago that Bob wanted out of writing the comic and Marvel wouldn't release him so he started writing worse and worse stories until they were forced to let him. Bob himself wanted nothing more do to with it.. I don't know how true that is so if someone else knows please jump in.

I haven't kept up with IDW at all since the very first issue...is Bob only doing the one project or will he be doing other stuff?

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Got a lot to thank him for. That's a guy that really deserves to get some kind of Transformers award.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think it's too easy to remember Budiansky from the later - "here are fifteen new characters that won't ever be seen again, but buy the toys anyway!" - days on the TF comic. The early stuff was pretty good.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    That was totally Hasbro's fault, though. Didn't the Headmasters mini-series introduce literally dozens of new characters?

10. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Pretty much. And even later during Furman's run they started having whole patrols worth of bots and there would have to be whole issues that introduced like 20 characters at once. And Furman got saddled with it. Come to think of it, I'm now wondering if that isn't why Bob left to begin with. I'm a bigger fan of Furman, but Bob should by no means be underrated. It would really be nice to see him honored at a Botcon in some way.

11. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I have a similar tradition. Every year on my birthday, I watch the G1 cartoon beginning to end while reading the Marvel comic sometimes with the UK stuff sometimes without.

12. Magnus' Mate

News Credits:
    In an interview I read with Bob, he put it a really nice way, that all the new toys were like having "lots of uninvited guests washing up on your desert island where you already had lots of people" - or something like that.

In response to an earlier post - I'd also heard the rumour that Bob intentionally wrote lamer stories later on as some kind of rebellion - but Bob himself dismissed this as I recall.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was just wondering why Bob hasn't received the recognition he deserves? Some of the TF names were really innovative. For example, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream. I also enjoyed some of his story arcs also. For example, the first 12 issues when the TFs crashed to earth, Shockwave becoming Decepticon leader, removing Optimus' head. The tension and pacing was pretty good (for me). I guess being in his shoes, the greatest difficulty is using all the characters.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Those early issues were classics, and Bob Budiansky deserves a great deal of praise for his work on the comic in the early years, helping to establish the characters and personalities that have endured for the past 25 years.

Without such a strong foundation, there is no way we'd be celebrating the 25th and Bob deserves a lot of credit for his part in the creation of the comic, the first part of the franchise to introduce the characters to kids everywhere.