Remind me to never leave feedback first again.

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Laser_Optimus, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry guys, I just need to vent a little...

Basically I work hard to keep a good reputation as a seller on eBay. Try to be as service minded as possible, never overcharge for shipping, give refunds when it's warranted, communicate with the buyer through every step including payment received to item ship out and I even give delivery confirmation numbers free of charge and when I'm paid promptly I leave feedback promptly. But this little nugget is making me wish I didn't...

So, I sold my 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime on eBay at the beginning of the month and it sells. Guy pays promptly -like, immediately after the auction- so I leave immediate feedback and got his item packaged. That was on the third. Now, I was busy with doctor's visits and a neurology exam so I didn't get a chance to get to the post office to ship the item until the 7th. I communicated this to him and received no response so I figured he was fine with it and I even contacted him on the 7th to let him know that his item had shipped and he should receive it in six to ten days (it went international to Canada) unless it got held up in customs and than it could take up to an extra three to four weeks (according to my local post office) as customs can be very slow. I even notified him that the item was insured for the price he paid me in case of damage (I include insurance in my shipping costs to international locals). All contact has been going through eBay. No response from him and so far so good... normal business on eBay as far as I'm concerned.

Here's the auction link if you're interested in seeing it: 20th Anniy Prime

Here's where things get interesting. He contacts me through eBay on the 17th wanting to know where his package is. I'm a little surprised (after all it's only been eight days and it can take up to ten), but I reiterate what I had already stated about the shipping time and how it can take longer than normal if it's held up in customs. At which point I also make note to him of the day I shipped it out (the 7th, which means it probably didn't leave the post office until the 8th) and explained that he still had two days before it was late and than it still may not be because it could have been held up in customs. I also mention that I had already sent him all this information through eBay and if he had received it. I also reiterated that the item was insured as I was unsure if he had received my previous messages.

Again, no response, but I did look into it at the post office just in case and was pretty much told that with Priority International they can't track the item once it's left the US (you have to use Expedited International if you want to track a package outside of the states), but that Canadian post is very reliable so the guy should get it on time and they agreed that he had jumped the gun.

In any case a couple of days go by and I hear nothing. It's now the 21st so I assume that he received his item on time and that he's happy with it. Than I happen to look at my feedback score and note that I have been given a neutral feedback by this guy on that same day -please note that not once did he attempt to contact me accept when he jumped the gun on his shipping date-.

Here's what he wrote: "need more details, smoke stacks broken, paints chipped, lose connection"

First off I'm a little ticked off, because he didn't even attempt to contact me about these supposed broken smoke stacks and chipped paint and I have no idea what he's talking about a 'loose connection'. Also, keep in mind that not only is this item insured, but I do offer a refund policy if something is broken in shipping if you look at the bottom of the auction page. So, I fire off a message to him asking him why he didn't contact me about the supposed broken/damaged items and -because the broken smoke stacks thing got me thinking- I ask him if he realized that there was a difference between the American release and the Japanese release and that the American release had short smoke stacks and battle damage. And I get zero response.

So, now I'm getting a little steamed, because -as far as I'm concerned- I just received a neutral when I shouldn't have. I mean, the guy didn't even attempt to contact me about anything... just left the feedback. So, I than message him again asking him why he didn't contact me about the supposed problems with the items -again- when I had told him twice that the item was insured and I also have a refund policy. I also -because I'm a little aggravated now- mention that he needs to learn to communicate outside of jumping the gun on his delivery dates. Again, nothing.

So, now -remember I've already left positive feedback for this guy... not that I would have negged him as I don't feal that would be warranted, but he definitely deserves a neutral in return I think- I add follow-up comments to his and my feedback.

To the feedback he left me I respond: "you should educate yourself item is an American release has short smoke stacks" -might have been worded incorrectly or harsh, but I was a little irate at the time-

And to the feedback I left him I respond: "left unwarranted neutral feedback would have given refund if truly broken/damaged" -just in case he wasn't getting my messages through eBay for whatever reason-

And, I've still heard nothing from this guy, so I guess it's water under the bridge now, but I still needed to vent about it. I guess I should be happy that he didn't leave me a negative. But, still, why no communication and knowing that the item was insured and I offer refunds for damaged goods -if it was truly damaged it must have been during shipping because when I sent the item to him it was in excellent shape!-. It doesn't make any sense, because he didn't even attempt to communicate with me short of jumping the gun on the arrival of the item.

Anyways, I guess that's everything... just needed to vent a little... it's just a shame when you work hard and all and than you get hit with something like that...

2. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I always state in my auctions that I only go to the post office once a week and shipping can be delayed. If you do not agree with this do not bid. After putting this in all my auctions I have yet to have a complaint. If I get the package out the day after the auction ends then the buyer is even happier. Something to think about. As for feedback, some people are never happy, you would have offered a refund but that is not what he wanted obviously.

3. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, I use the eBay automated system in the shipping information area that states that I usually ship out within three buisness days of recieving cleared payment. But, you may be right, it may be something I want to clearly state in my auctions from now on. I guess I just assumed that people would actually read all the information.

And, again, you're right. I probably wouldn't have been able to make the guy happy, but it just grates on my nerves that he didn't even let me try.

4. Lord Chumley

Lord Chumley Well-Known Member

I always leave positive feedback once ive been paid. I know alot do not. Ive had 1 woman who bought an info list and tried to use her new internet phone did not work, so she left neg feedback. A day later she tried the list on a her pc it worked. I havea guy whos launced a paypal claim against me after buying a sportswear wholesale list. I do use a picture of some trainers, but its called a wholesale list and i amke it clear may times over. Hes demanding to know why i have not sent him his trainers. He bought a list, out of over 100 transactions he is the only 1 to think he bought a pair of trainers, nutter.

5. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

How much feedback did he have on his ebay account?

If he was an experienced ebayer, then he was just being an ass.

reading all you have said about the transaction, I don't see what you could have done differently. Don't let it bother you. Shit happens

6. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry that he was an ass about the situation. You should put in your auctions or email at end of auction to email you about any problems to work things out before they leave a neutral or bad feedback. Having said that, I think the only responsibility of a buyer is to pay promptly. Once that is done, then a positive feedback should be left for the buyer. I don't like it when sellers hold off on giving feedback until the buyer leaves a feedback. Bottomline is though that a buyer should be able to leave any feedback if they were not satisfied with a transaction without fear of a negative feedback retaliation (which happens when the seller holds the feedback "hostage" until buyer leaves feedback first). Occasionally you WILL get one of those difficult buyers who will be unsatisfied easily so you just have to live with it as a seller. But don't take a feedback "hostage".

7. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I don't leave feedback as a seller until feedback has been left for me. As a buyer I leave feedback as soon as the item arrives.

8. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    What's his address? Let's go beat him up.

9. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His feedback rating is currently 25 (I believe it was 23 before me and another guy gave him positives).

Yeah, crap happens. Like I said... just needed to vent a little bit, but I did just now get a response from the guy... I'll post that down further...

You know, I agree with most of what you're saying which is why I always leave feedback when a buyer pays me without me having to send multiple invoices or file a non-paying bidder dispute with eBay. I appreciate it when the same is done for me when I buy items, but it's becoming more rare and I'm beginning to guess that's why. But, no, I won't change the way I do things...

No witch hunts please. :lol 

Anyways, like I said... he finally responded to me so here it is. Let me know what you guys think.

I responded with:

Well, I guess I should let it go at this point as neither of us can do anymore than what's already been done -oh, except block the guy from any future auctions of mine... check!-, but honestly I was down right annoyed that he didn't even comment on the 'broken smoke stacks' & 'loose connection' stuff that he mentioned and he's basically saying that I'm either an idiot and don't check out my stuff before I put it up for auction or that I'm deliberately not posting information to mislead the buyer... which ticks me off more because it calls my integrity into question.

Bleh, what fun...

10. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

Well, I guess he is consistent.

A consistent ass that is.:crazy: 

11. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

As a seller I tend to wait until they have either emailled saying they are happy or left feedback themselves.

Basically I don't consider my side of the transaction finished until they have confirmed they are happy ...

Same as when I'm a buyer too - I leave feedback once I'm happy with the service provided.

Buyer sounds like a prat .. if I had a chipped toy first thing I'd do is get a picture sent to the seller if I planned to return it - otherwise I wouldn't bother - sounds like they are trying to get some money refunded or something without sending it back or proving it

12. lookinglasself

lookinglasself 1.21 Jigowatts

That sucks man, people are stupid. I just recently sold two items myself and left feedback first (which I NEVER do), hoping that I would get it in return. I've had at least 15 transactions where buyers never left feedback.

I agree that the user should have responded to your messages. Because they didn't, they really had no room to complain. At least he didn't leave you a negative.

Ebay's feedback system is ALL screwed up now.

13. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, he's loopy that's for sure. I mean... what's really got me kind of laughing at this point when I think about it is that the guy seem to be ignoring the fact that the supposed paint chip wasn't the only problem that he supposedly had with the item. I mean, it's not like he has limited space to reply in an email or anything... oh well...

That's what I was thinking... I'm waiting for him to come out and ask. Which I figure he might if he responds again. I'm actually kind of in 'haha, this is retarded' mode and I'm almost over it. So, hopefully he doesn't have the gull to ask for a refund at this point or it'll start to bother me again.

Honestly, I used to not leave feedback first and still wouldn't receive feedback, but than I started leaving feedback first and still don't receive feedback. There's really no way to win. Some people just don't leave feedback like it's not important or something...

Yeah, thankfully he didn't leave me a negative.

Well, it's not quit screwed up yet... just wait until May... than it's going to be screwed up! ...and I'm hoping to be somewhere else by than...

14. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

Guess it could have been worse, he coulda left you a neg for no reason. All in all, it didnt really hurt your feedback rating but i can see why youd be pissed. I hate it when people dont communicate.

15. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    He was probably French.

SOMEONE had to say it!

(totally kidding)

16. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very very true. I just keep telling myself that. Like I said, I'm over the angry stage and more into the 'WTF?' stage after the guy's last response.

Nah, he'd be too drunk to respond... :confused2 

I KID!!! :lolol 

17. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    I think that dude has a spam email setup to block messages... anyway , too bad what you thought didn't work out...

18. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    Don't take it so hard, Laser. I think you're just panicking because you were very close to losing your 100% positive rating after 300 feedbacks. Remember that a neutral feedback doesn't affect your rating. I don't deny that the seller was being an ass the whole time, but in future you could try sending your messages directly to his email address than through eBay. I'm wondering if he never checks his eBay inbox. And as a seller, you should never leave feedback until the buyer does first - at least that's how in works in central Europe. I know that eBay has changed its feedback policy in the States, so you couldn't have negged him even if you wanted to. You did all you could, so just let it slide.

19. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Just so you know for future reference, the number on the customs form can be used to track the item. Completely irrelevant to the problem at hand, but it was brought up so I felt it needed mentioned.

20. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, I'm over it now. And, yeah, it made me realize that one doofy buyer can screw up all the good feeback I've recieved. At 300 positives 1 negative is enough to screw with your precentage enough to make people take notice when they're thinking about bidding on an item. And, while a neutral doesn't affect my rating... it feels unwarranted as if there would have been a truly geniune problem I would have helped him out as best as I could. What upsets me the most is he never gave me the chance.

As for not sending stuff through eBay, all messages sent through eBay go to your registered email account -at least all mine do, don't know if it can be set up differently or not-.

As for leaving feedback first, your supposed to as a seller, but a lot of people don't. But I like what was said earlier in this thread about requesting people contact you and let you know if they're happy with the item or not before either party leaves feedback. Might be something to list in my auctions in the future.

As for negging him... the rules haven't changed yet so I could have -though like I said... I don't think he actually deserved it even though he was being a jerk-. They don't change according to eBay until 'sometime' in May.

Actually, I was told by the local post office that they can't use that to track it after it leaves the states unless you pay for expidited shipping. So, unless there's a way that the other country's post office can track it if I contact them or use their website than, as I understand it, you really can't.