Remembrance: Space Shuttle Challenger 22 years ago today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DevilzFan, Jan 28, 2008.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Today marks 22 years since the loss of the Space Shuttle Challenger and her crew.

It's weird, I still remember it vividly. I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, and we were all in the cafeteria watching it on televisions. Kind of surreal thinking back on it.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view.bg?articleid=1069607&srvc=rss

2. bandron

bandron seeker jets' nightmare

Ebay:
    I still remember watching that on the TV at school. I was in southern Florida at the time. Two of my classmates were running late for class and saw the explosion in the distance because the hallways were all open air. Still makes me just sit and think every time I think on it.

3. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I didn't see it live. I was in a class, in the seventh grade. Another teacher came in and told us what happened. We were all shocked and saddened. I did not get to actually see it till I got home and watched the news.

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, me too. We were watching it in class. Kind of makes you wonder where would be regarding the manned space program if we didn't have those type of incidents.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I remember the Columbia more since I was like 2 when the Challenger blew

6. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    Yeah, I was in class as well, Gym I beleive. The Principal spoke over the intercom and we were all a bit shocked. I still remember what she said, which led to much confusion. She simply said "The Challanger has exploded". Didn't see in until I got home that night.

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Most likely a stupid question but was this the only space shuttle to explode?

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Umm, no. But this particular shuttle launch was hyped for a very long time prior to the incident, as there was a civilian astronaut onboard, who happened to be a schoolteacher. So schools around the country turned on their TV's to watch the launch, had been teaching kids about space for weeks prior, and then *BOOM* right on live TV with millions of kids watching.

It was supposed to be the biggest draw to regain interest in the space program since landing a man on the moon, and it was a catastrophic failure. Basically, prior to that, and after, most shuttle launches aren't televised except for maybe a brief blurb on the morning news at 5am. Instead of increasing public interest in NASA and being able to give more money to NASA as a result, it kinda had the opposite effect.

So yea, this one was very significant.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

This was the only one to explode. The Columbia broke up on re-entry.

10. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    I remember watching it at school. I think that is the quietest a group of 2nd graders have ever been. We all knew what had just happened. No one asked, "What's wrong?" The teacher started crying and some classmates started crying, too.

11. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I still remember where I was, I was in 6th grade and had a bad cold so stayed home. My friend had allot of ailments and was always off school so I called him in the middle of the day and then I saw it happen. It's still pretty vivid in my mind.