Remembering the Oldies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by spiritprime, Mar 15, 2011.

1. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    I know I never got to enjoy the 80's television series that most of the grownups enjoyed since I'm part of the 90's generation, but I thought maybe its time that we share our favourite memories of the old shows we used to watch long ago. Maybe bring back those we have long forgotten, mention others and jog other people's memories.

For instances, every time I got home from school when I was little, I used to watch a variety of different shows like The Animals of Farthing Wood, Insektors, Dragon Flyz, Godzilla: The Series, Dragon Ball Z, The Trap Door, Plasmo, Round the Twist, Blinky Bill, and maybe a few more I cannot remember.

So tell me, guys, what old television shows did you watch after when you came home from school or watched every morning before school and Saturday mornings? I'm curious to know.

2. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gettin' outta collectin'

I'm 33 - I can remember watching He Man, Transformers and MASK as they appeared in the UK. MASK was always shown in two parts - Saturday and Sunday at about 0745.

Centurions was also split into 2 or 3 segments during Saturday morning TV.

3. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    He-man, spider-man,Transformers, G.I.Joes, Mask, Silverhawks,Thundercats,Conan,The Littles,Smurfs,
    Many more, those were off the head @ the moment....

4. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    All of the above 80s goodness, plus Gummi Bears, Dungeons and Dragons, Superfriends, Herculoids, Thundarr the Barbarian, Wheeled Warriors and probably more that aren't immediately coming to mind. IMO the 80s was the last great decade for original media properties. The 90s started out okay but then quickly devolved into the remake/retread factory it is today. And the 80s was DEFINITELY the best decade for Japanese anime. Amazing shows with mature stories and barely a single moeblob in sight!

5. Primal_Grimlock

I forgot ThunderCats...

Bravestarr, anyone?

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I swear this show was the Avatar: The Last Airbender of its day. The show was intelligent, it was interesting. It had action, drama, romance and tragedy. I have seen more intelligence in an episode of that show than in a whole season of Law and Order.

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting BBC, get those DVD's out......Now......:stick: 

7. Primal_Grimlock

Now I've seen the photo, I remember this too.

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, this show was amazing and actually quite harrowing for a kid's show. I remember getting nervous each time I watched it because it was a certainty that at least one animal was going to die each episode. To this day I still remember how the pheasants died.

9. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    ah..........the Old Nickelodeon shows............

10. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    The pheasants deaths never bothered me as much as the tragic death of Bold. God, that whole scene had me in tears because I never got the answer that Bold forgave Fox or not. What a sad way to go.

11. Skyswipe

Skyswipe Favorite store on Citadel

Well, mostly whatever was on the original Cartoon Network (up till 2003) and Nickelodeon until I got annoyed by the new shows that cropped up around 2005.

12. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Aside from the regulars like He Man, Robotech and Transformers that I still like and buy toys from, there were shows I loved then that I've had no interest to revisit today. I remember being absolutely crazy for Bionic Six, racing to the television to watch it after school. Another example is Voltron. I lived and breathed that show and its toys back then, but as an adult I have pretty close to zero interest in Voltron. It seems odd that I don't have any nostalgia for those shows beyond that. Makes me wonder why certain things stick and others don't.

13. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I loved Danger Mouse and Duckula when I small. I remember watching the Mario Bros. Super Show, the Real Ghostbusters and MASK around the same time, and Back to the Future was my favorite for a long time. Of course Batman: TAS, and Tintin were a blast when I was a little older, and all of the Nicktoons (Rocko, Doug, Rugrats, Ahh! Real Monsters, etc.) but I'll never forget being so psyched to watch the New Batman/Superman Adventures, Men in Black and Godzilla: the Series every Saturday morning. Then Toonami started showing epic classics like Thundercats, Voltron and Robotech, and about that same time I got hooked on Roughnecks and Extreme Ghostbusters (I want this on DVD now Sony!).

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I remember the old Disney shows of the early 90's, like Darkwing Duck and such. Then I remember when Fox Kids started up with shows like Batman TAS, Power Rangers, Tazmania, Animaniacs, and Tiny Toons. Then I remember watching TMNT on CBS and when Kids WB pop up and several Fox shows moved over. I also remember watching Earthworm Jim on that network, along with Freakazoid. I dont remember what channel these were on, but I remember watching Street Sharks, Extreme Ghostbusters, Might Max, and Biker Mice.

Then I remember seeing Beast Wars on Fox in the mornings before I went to school, along with a few other shows that was on different days at that time. Then BW went on full time along with another show I didnt watch as much.

15. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I forgot about all of those. I was obsessed with Ninja Turtles when I was a kid.

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Echoing the Farthing Wood love. One of the finest pieces of storytelling the animated medium has ever seen.

Transformers, BTAS, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Dungeons and Dragons, Macross, Grendizer, Duck Tales, various Ultraman series (particularly Ace, Jack and Towards the Future), TaleSpin, Mighty Max, Ghostbusters (both Real and Extreme), Mummies Alive and Gargoyles were all staples of my childhood, too.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Shows i watched as a kid.....

Dragonball Z
    Pokemon
    Yugioh
    Really any 90's Disney series
    Spongebob Squarepants

18. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    A lot of the stuff they used to run on Nickelodeon in the 80s was great. Danger mouse, Mr. Wizard, You can't Do That on Television were all a lot of fun.

19. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

I agree. Grew up in the '90s and I loved the stuff that was on back then. Especially the anime stuff, including Gundam. Beast Wars was also a favorite of mine. I miss those days back when Toonami and Fox Kids were on TV. That was the best era ever.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    goodness the full list would be huge but the various version of the superfriends, Jayce and the wheeled warriors, The original KNight Rider, Air wolf, The A-team and so many more.