Remembering Shaun Charles Christopher

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickback, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Forgive me for starting my own thread, but I've had all day at work to sit here and think of everything and I'm still really shook up over this. So bear with me while I do this.

Remembering Shaun Charles Christopher, or as we knew him, Shaun_C.

Why are the best always taken first?

The sudden passing of Shaun has hit me very, very hard. It's hard to describe. Like most of you, the only time I was fortunate enough to spend with Shaun was during past conventions. He was such a character. But I am so very proud and so very honored that like many of you, I was able to call Shaun a friend. The time I did spend with him is something I know I will always hold dear to me.

Shaun was the kind of guy that got a reaction out of everyone - whether it was good or bad makes no difference, everyone who knew him and spoke with him walked away with an impression. He was the kind of guy that got picked on, but bless his heart, he always took it on the chin and in good fun. Very rarely did he ever take something personal, and if he thought you took something he said personal, he made it a point to talk to you one-on-one to make sure that you weren't really mad at him.

The thing I will always remember Shaun for the most is his innocence. And perhaps that was part of his charisma - he was such an innocent person, he held all his friendships very close to his heart and was always willing to help others in whatever way was possible. I admit fully to not taking enough time to get to know him better, to not taking the opportunity like I should have to enjoy him for what he was -- someone who was passionate about his hobbies and passionate about his friends.

What breaks my heart the most is that I know for a fact that each year, BotCon was the one thing he looked forward to the most. His heart was set on going to the upcoming Transformers movie time and time again, and there was no one more passionate and more enthusiastic about this hobby of ours, whether it was good or bad. And here we are, less than two weeks away, and Shaun will never get a chance to see this movie he so badly wanted to see, never get a chance to see all of his friends again.

And we'll never get a chance to say thank you for being you, for being such a pure hearted individual. You were such a fighter Shaun. You fought so many medical conditions for so long. You allowed us to see in to the struggles you faced from such an early age. I only hope that if I ever have to go through any of the things you did, that I'll be as strong as you.

Thank you so much for the memories you gave me. You don't know it, but you were the kind of person that left such an impression on everyone around you that I know that I, and many of the people I talked to today, brought you up time and time again to our friends who had no idea who you were, who never got a chance to meet you. You have left us way too early Shaun.

You may not have been a staff member here at TFW2005 or the message boards, but you were part of the TFW2005 Family, and you always will be buddy. I know that I and many others are dedicating our time at this year's show in remembering you, remembering all the passion that you brought to this hobby and to this community.

The world needs more people like you Shaun. I'm not a religious person, but I'd like to believe in Heaven. And if it does exist, I know that you're there Shaun. Look down on us from time to time, away from all those beautiful girls you're with, away from the massive collection that's up there with you, and know that you are SORELY missed.

Rest in peace, Shaun Charles Christopher.

Please feel free to leave your memories of Shaun in your posts. We'd like to gather a collection of them, if possible.

2. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

They say no one is gone as long as someone remembers them..Shaun will be remembered here for a long long time.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Well spoken Chris. A fitting tribute to Shaun.

I only got to know him in the virtual setting of the boards. We exchanged some PM's over the years, and a few months back had some nice conversations in the Gabbly chat. Wherever he may be now, I hope he's already seated and awaiting the first showing of the Movie. It was something he looked so forward to, and to be denied that, it's just to cruel for words.

Rest in Peace Shaun. You're sorely missed already.

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I remember I ribbed Shaun alot around this time last year, but it was meant in good fun. I used to always think he's a nice guy, but that he was just trying really hard sometimes. I think this outpour shows that he was genuinely a nice guy. Shaun was definitely optimistic, idealistic, and would never hesitate to give the shirt off his back.

I think throughout our lives, people come and go. We have shared experiences and learn from each other. I think a good majority of us have a fairly negative and sarcastic outlook on life due to various life experiences, but I think Shaun was a shining light, a beacon of hope, amongst our general moan and groan community. I think that in some way, we were all touched by Shaun's honesty, innocence, and optimism. I think his memory will live on by each of us reflecting on this, and even practicing this from time to time.

People often say that the world goes round not because of all the bad people, but because of the few good ones who are around. Shaun is an example of the latter, and I hope that wherever he is, he's getting the respect and love that he deserves. You may have left us in body, but you'll live on in our hearts, our minds, and at your home, TFW2005.

Debesh Das

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I remember a Fuzzy thread where SamiWCP was goading guys to post topless pics. I was able to convince Shaun to participate and post one. He worked out a lot and was proud of it. Overcoming illness like he had, for as long as he did, I think colored his perspective. I think that's why he was so positive and genuine.

6. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Repeating an IM to Kick: It’s amazing though, he had such a tuff time with things like holding down a job and I guess he didn’t have much in the way of real life friends and all his illnesses but he just plugged right along happy as can be. It’s just too bad he had to die for most of us to appreciate who he was.

And I feel like a creep now for how I treated him some times.

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    WHAT?!?!? Shaun_C, my Canadian counterpart (I've been the American Shaun_C a few times because I don't drink or smoke) has moved to his final resting place? Damn, talk about a sudden and very sad loss. I sorely regret never getting to meet him as he was a genuine and colorful character.

Rest in peace, friend, you will be SORELY missed.

8. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I remember the very first time I met him. It was at OTFCC 2003, and a few of us had convinced ORSON (hehe) to come out for drinks after the show. It was a small group of us (me, Tony B, Alvarez, the Hartmans, Jux, Primus, Beatnik Poe, SSJ Rodimus) and he showed up and hung out with conversation for a little bit.

Yeah, I'm guilty of ribbing him a little bit, but bless his fucking heart he never took it personal, which is more than I can say for just about any of us. He deserved so much more than he ever received, and I know he was so proud to be a moderator at the TFCC boards. He was a financial supporter to the site here. And he was always the first to say he'd be more than ready to help us with anything (last year's Board Wars, anytime we needed a moderator, etc.)

I seriously have tears. This isn't fair. You were such a good person. While you were someone that got picked on, you were so much more than any of us could ever hope to aspire to be.

I miss you Shaun. I don't know what to pray for ... that this is some sort of sick joke, or that you'll check in on us from time to time.

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If this is a sick joke I’ll be relived but also crazy pissed at who ever thought it up.

10. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Shaun once posted a pic of himself at his high-school reunion. It was Shaun in the middle of a bunch of white women.

I shot him a PM telling him that now I knew why people called him "Diddy". He had a good laugh over that.

I'm gonna miss him.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I never met Shaun in real life, I did have quite a bit of interactions with him on the boards, through PMs and on gabbly chat.

It seemed like all he wanted was for people to like him, in fact it seemed like it bothered him a lot whenever someone had harsh words to say. I admit I was not always friendly as I could have been with him, but his passing has taught me to be more tolerant in the future.

He was genuinely a nice guy and was always willing to help out, even if you didn't ask for his help.

I remember back when I first started working out he sent me a PM with some links about body-building, just out of the blue. That was just the kind of guy he was, he was just trying to be helpful.

I remember another time he PM'd me back when I sold off my RID collection, he seemed genuinely concerned and thought I might have lost my job and just sent me a message asking if everything was OK.

Kickback is right, the would needs more people like him, people who are actually concerned about the well being of others as much as he was.

It seems like a cruel joke that he should pass just weeks before the movie that would have defiantly been a high point for him, he was so passionate about it, I still remember a lot of his posts in the movie forum.

I wish he was here to see how much of an impact he had on everyone, I wish I could tell him that his passing taught me something about myself, and how I should treat other people.

I told several people today about the guy on the message board I go to that passed away, and it was mostly met with blank stares, but Shaun made an impression on me, even if I have never met him outside of words on a screen.

You'll be missed Shaun, it's too bad you'll never know just how much of an impact you made on people.

12. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't know him all that well, but I always rememebered his posts as being positive and insightful, and worth reading. He seemed like a truely good person, and I would have liked to get to know him better. It really is a tragedy he had to go so soon.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice words, thanks KB.

The first personal contact I had with Shaun was fairly recently, within the last month. He sent me a PM to commend me for some responses I had posted to a board troll we were dealing with at the time. While normally I wouldn't ever post a PM exchange, I feel it's appropriate here because of the situation and the impression it made on me--and I don't think Shaun would mind.
    To which he replied:
    Why does this stand out in my mind? Because he doesn't know me from any other person on the street--and yet he extended an open invitation for friendship, without reservation. From what I'm reading from others who knew him better, that's just the kind of guy he was. Right now, I'd give just about anything to have been able to sit with him at the movie.

*I checked in with an Admin before posting the PMs.

14. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Thanks ams. Shaun's innocence, passion, and overall friendly demeanor really shines in those PM's, and really brings on the waterworks.

15. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Tell me about it. I'm not one to tear up or cry a bit but, damn, it is just so sad and unfair (life is that way) that it was such a wonderfully kind person like Shaun_C. It is scary to realize how much we had in common. Neither of us smoked, drank (as far as our exchanges indicated) and we both had two siblings plus other similarities. I didn't realize he had so many problems and it makes me feel fortunate, despite my own plethora of problems, to be where I am now. He is an inspiration to me, and will be missed immensely.

16. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I never met Shaun in real life, but I recognized his pic after seeing him at Botcon last year. Something about him at the time must have stood out for me to remember his face so clearly.

Most of my relationship with him was from reading his posts. I never knew that he had serious medical problems. His demeaner was always so upbeat that its hard to think he had health problems.

I only had one real talk with him, and that was on Gabbly Chat a while back. We ended up talking for quite awhile. He was very concerned that one of the other posters here didn't seem to like him. It seemed to me that he just really needed someone to listen for a while. Hopefully, I was able to provide that to him. I remember the last thing I said to him was that I'd meet him at Botcon this year.

Rest in peace Shaun, this is a bummer of a way to get a sneak peak at the movie, but you beat us all to it. God Bless.

I'm going to go find a Kleenex now.

17. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I've never been to a botcon, so sadly I never met Shaun_C in person, but his presence and posts on this board were a great part of this place. He was always positive, insightful, and often times humorous. There was never a Shaun_C post that I would skip over. I really took a liking to him when the movie discussion really kicked in to full swing; back when most people still thought this film was on a one-way train to shit town, Shaun_C was one of the guys who was optimistic and confident that it could all work out fine. I fought side by side with him in many a movie discussions, trying to share a positive perspective, although admittedly Shaun_C was far better at it than I. It is a sick twist of fate that he would pass on three weeks before the film's release.

It seems shortsighted of me to consider that him missing the movie even comes close to the worst crime his premature passing will bring, but sadly Transformers is all I knew him for, and his passion and excitement for the film was unmatched. I can't help but want to buy an extra ticket when I go to see the film in the theatre, and save a seat for Shaun :( 

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with the things you guys posted...the thing I remembered about what Shaun C was his friendliness and his helpfulness in answering whatever questions I have - from the TF movie to DVDs.

In the posts I interacted him with he came across as a friendly and helpful guy and yeah, I always look forward to his posts and for the last few days, I realized he wasn't posting...now I know the reason why... he was so excited about the TF movie and his excitement was passed on to me.

I have never met Shaun (I'm in Asia) but I'm stunned and saddened by his suddenly passing...he was taken "too soon". :( 

19. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I am not a very emotional person. I have had relatives die and while I was sad, I usually didn't shed a tear. And I held it together pretty well when I first heard Shaun had passed while I was at work, but when I got home and told my wife about him I cried. We both did. I hope somewhere out there Shaun saw that moment, me and my wife holding each other and crying for him. I hope somewhere out there he's seeing the literally hundreds and hundreds of people outpouring how much they liked and respected him, and how much he stood out as someone to read his thoughts and know him as a person and listen to what he had to say.

It's really ironic. Shaun has forever been telling me for years in IMs and PMs that he thinks he's this chameleon, that nobody notices him and he's just this regular small time poster, that no one cared about his opinions or what he had to say. And I told him so many times that he was wrong, that he was noticed and respected more than he realized.

Shaun, now you know I was right. Look at this. You were not small time my friend, you were one of a kind. God bless you buddy. I'll miss you.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I met Shaun for the first time at Botcon 2004. I was wandering around, and he spotted me & came bounding over to introduce himself. Actually, that characterises him pretty well; he was easily THE most enthusiastic and genuine person I've ever met in this fandom. We all have some sort of facade, but he just... didn't. You got exactly what you saw.
    I remember, he was staff for Botcon that year; he was looking after Wally Burr. He was SO damn proud of that.
    At Botcon 2006 he was right there at the very head of the queue for the Dealer room. Like I said, boundless enthusiasm.
    Shaun got teased a lot, but I don't think that many people actually meant anything by it. It got a bit much at points (not necessarily helped by Shaun himself, who was up for anything and so did let himself in for various jibes), but he never let it get to him. I don't know anyone else who would be like that. But then I've never met anyone like Shaun. I doubt I will again. He was a pleasure to chat to, and a very loyal friend.

Dear Shaun,
    Thank you for being one of the best people any of us could ever wish to know, or to be. You are missed now, you will be missed tomorrow, and every tomorrow after that.
    Everything is a little darker now without you, but thank you for lighting up the time we did have with you.
    Sleep well, my brother. You are loved.
    Pete