Remember when before the g1 reissues came out? Stories about times long ago

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by micah1199, Apr 5, 2010.

1. micah1199

micah1199 Well-Known Member

I started collecting trasnformers again during the g2 and beast war era. I remember when people would pay lots of money for essentially loose junked g1 transformers. I remember when toys like predaking and God Ginrai would command hundres of dollars for a loose junk version. During that time, the "fans" said that we would never see live action transformer movies. They said that we would never get g1 reissues. When we started to get g1 reissues, they said we would never get stepper, predaking, or God Ginrai. Overtime, all of the naysayers were proven wrong. I remember when TRansking had a for sale website and sold his mint in sealed box c-9 g1 transfomers for $300 to $400 a piece and people screamed that the prices were to high lol. They would go much much higher in the years to come. As transformer fans, we have pretty much gotten all our collective wet dreams catered to. This post is about nostalgia. I remember with joy when the predaking and God Ginrai and other reissues came out and the market dropped overnight for many transformers and caused much collector nerd rage. Please share all of your pre-reissue nostalgia.

2. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I actually sent Hasbro a letter (pre-e-mail) back in the late 1980s about whether they had any older G1 Transformers available for sale somewhere. I was a little kid, and really wanted some toys of the characters that were still appearing on the syndicated cartoons. They actually responded. I can't remember what they said precisely, but it seems like they gave me the address of some the Mexican branch of Hasbro, saying that the figures were released in other countries. I didn't follow up on it, though.

Trying to get ahold of older TFs and GI Joes back in the dark, pre-internet days was difficult indeed. It wasn't just that there were no re-issues, so much that there was no regional, national or worldwide "market" where people who had older figures could sell. You either found them at garage sales or flea markets, or your comic shop had some for exorbitant prices, and that was pretty much it.

I still remember my joy at picking up Zartan (who I lost as a youngster) off eBay circa 2000.

3. micah1199

Karamarkzov,

YOu are absolutely correct. That is a great story about writing the letter to hasbro as a child. I remember being a child and being frustrated that I could never get devestator because he was not to be had at any stores anymore. I remember my mom looking everywhere for him to no avail. The pre-internet collecting days were a horror show. I remember when hardcore robot collectors would have collectors shops overnight them their new monthly catalog and then rush home to try to be the first ones to buy the new listings. How wacky was that?

4. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Obligatory childhood/pre-reissue sob story post:

As a child, the one TF i wanted more than anything else was Megatron.

Unfortunately, my folks didn't like the idea of spending that much money on "gimmicky" toys such as Transformers, particularly a "violent gimmicky toy". They told me that Transformers were a fad and that Lego was a superior toy because it could turn into anything and it would be around for ever.

That fact that a Lego version of Megatron would look like *expletive deleted* was apparently unimportant to them.

They were quite happy with me spending the summer mowing people's lawns, but i was told specifically i was not allowed to spend the money on Megatron.

Nowhere near the worst childhood experience, but that toy haunted me for years upon years.

First thing i bought with my first paycheck from my first job was a sealed Megatron.
    This was quite some time before the first reissue... i think it cost me...$450?.... opened the box promptly, put the stickers on, and in the same circumstances
    i'd do it again.

Like i said, i've little to be annoyed about really, but when i think about my childhood experiences regarding Megatron, it still ticks me off for some reason.

Parents tell their children some dumb stuff.

"fad" my a$$.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I remember buying a lot of vintage G1 on a.t.t.m. with no photos, just a description of condition. This was 1996-1998. I got Shockwave, Superion, Slag, Swoop, Snarl, Sludge, Headstrong, Blaster, Perceptor and a lot more.

I got great prices and most of what I bought still hasn't been reissued. :D 

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol, I remember those days. My tfw2005 registration date says 2009 but i've been around on the seibertron forums since 2000. Its funny you mention the nay sayers because things don't ever change.

Back then it was all "Car robots will NEVER come to the usa". Sure enough, a few months later it came states side. I remember having an argument with someone at Target about it. At that time, all target had was Beast Wars Prowl and Optimus Minor because NOBODY wanted those toys lol.

Its funny but the arguments always evolve. "SOUNDWAVE'S MOLD IS LOST, DESTROYED!! NEVER!!!!" really? We just got how many reissues?

"FORT MAX CAN'T PASS THE FALL TEST, NO REISSUE EVER!!!" Takara did it in 2001 I believe.... maybe Hasbro can't do it but when could they ever give us a ton of old G1 stuff?

"Toys that can never be reissued... Sky Lynx, Omega Supreme, Predaking..." I believe those happened.

The thing that always kills me about the Transformer fandom is we are always looking for answers nobody on any forum has. Unless someone on tfw is a double agent and can spy into takara's vault to check out all their molds, how do you really know what can or can't be done?

As far as junk goes...... oh man.... I remember being pissed about a G1 Prowl I lost out on that sold for 105 bucks on ebay. It had a super glued roof, half a gun and paint wear lol.

However, the biggest thing back in the day was finding a complete G1 Prime. Everyone wanted one and I could never afford the price it commanded back in the day. the Prime I settled on had 1 fist and a trailer with no door... for the smoking deal of 57 bucks lol.

The old days....... in a way, I kind of miss them. Buying Transformers seemed like it was more fun because you had to hunt everything down. Don't get me wrong, I love the era we are in now but where did the fun go? Maybe thats why I started collecting Victory toys because most of the G1 stuff can be found anywhere.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  Why would Takara care about the drop test, considering it's a US regulation and not a Japanese one?

8. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no kidding lol. I just thought about this but remember the first year of ebay or your first couple of ebay experiences?

Oh man... I was such a newbie. I always had to see my username winning so I would out bid everyone and anyone trying to steal my toy!

Most of the time it would work out well... for 6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 45 seconds lol. Plus, we had dial up back then so the page would load up SUPER SLOW!!!!

On dial up... it must have taken what 45 seconds to refresh a page? Plus you would get the occasional aunt calling your house that would purposely call continuously until you finally got booted off AOL. My favorite aunt Margie....

9. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Man, I remember when my buddy got his first computer before the 86' movie was re-released on tape. I'd look up websites that had pics of Transformers and certain figures. After that I wanted to start collecting G1 Transformers again so bad, but never thought there would be reissues or anything of the sort. Then in 02 Takara released the New Year Special Optimus Prime. That's when my craze for collecting again began. Great times those days were.

10. micah1199

I too remember the first days of ebay lololol. Those were fun times. I remember buying comics off of alt.comics.marketplace. That was a trip. As you guys said, no pictures just prices and descriptions. The three reissues that made the naysayers eat crow were omega supreme, sky lynx, and predaking. I'll throw God Ginra in to boot and the fact that we got him reissued in the states as a toys r us reissue LOLOLOL.

11. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I started serious collecting in '99. Back then BW was just over in europe and I found out about alt.toys.transformers. I bought my first couple of items at timetravelertoys.com. Swoop for $60 and a Skylynx for $80. Stuff I hadn't even seen in real life before but I always wanted as a kid. I was so stoked when I got my first parcel in the mail.

I still love bidding on ebay auctions and tracking down that one item I want for the money I want to pay for it!

iDD

12. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Ah, the heady days of 1997. Back in those days, they didn't even have user names, just email addresses, and feedback wasn't linked to any auction number.

My first purchase was a Sealed contents Zartan around fall of that year.

My first TF purchase was the following summer: Small decepticon Targetmasters and Doubledealer straight from a case, bought from hangtenstoyshack.

13. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man... back in the ATTM days I remember someone offering me a G1 Jazz with a broken roof piece for 80 bucks. Man, I slept on that deal for a week, then decided it wasn't worth it. Thank god I didn't.

14. micah1199

Does anyone remember the internet toyshop Robozone by Gerry Bunker? He was the premeir internet toyshop and one of the first online before BBTS. Ah, the memories.

15. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, I used to shop there and Cybertron City! I purchased Rodimus Prime, Tracks and Prowl from those places.

16. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Well, what do your parents think of the fact that this "fad" has lasted 25 plus years?

17. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Ah, The pre-Ebay days :lol . I live in Syd, Australia & I can remember seeing the Classic Reissues in the early 90's in stores. I don't know how well they sold but I wonder who was buying them back then? Kids who'd rather own a G1 over an AM or adult collectors? *scratches head* Anyway, & then came "the doubts that they were the last of the reissues - ever". Then came the first of the reissues this century & us adult collectors have been spoilt (& broke) ever since. :lol 

18. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

ebay changed the game.

19. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I moved to Japan in 98. Started to dig out G1 stuff in vintage toy shops. I went to Mandarake in Akihabara, bought some stuff and met with an UK dealer who sold me a MISB G1 Megatron for $300.
    A couple of months later I won a MISB G1 Screamer from eBay for $400. Also found a Super Ginrai/Godbomber set for $450 or so.

Two years later everything that I've bought got re-issued. The first thing that came to my mind was 'WTF', but I ended up buying the re-issues as well. Some of them actually saved me a lot of money (Prime, Rodimus, Magnus, Hot Rod, Sixshot, Star Convoy).

20. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

I didn't start recollecting until 2001 on the recommendation of my wife (who was just my girlfriend at the time). She was the one that convinced me to pursue reacquiring my old toys again if they brought me such good memories. When I started recollecting RID had just hit the states and the odd reissues had just started coming out like Starscream, Magnus, Rodimus Prime, Sixshot and such. Unfortunately I was too late to the party even in the fall of 2001 because I missed out on the e-hobby reissues like Thrust and Ramjet. Hell, I'm still hoping those two will make it out as a reissue someday soon!