Remember Walmart MP Starscream?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Remember how fast they sold? Well why didn't we get Thundercracker and Skywarp? The way Starscream sold I thought we would get them here in the U.S. Do you think there is a chance?

2. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Because WalMart has to want an exclusive...

Because the sell-through wasn't actually all that quick for an exclusive with limited availability...

Because $50 toys are not in vouge at the moment...

Because Thundercracker and Skywarp are just not = to Starscream...

Take your pic. It's really all up to Wal-Mart right now.

3. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Doubt it. You have to remember, a lot of these major retail chains are taking a HUGE risk by taking these higher priced items.

Walmart was smart. They had only like 17 per store. Real limited compared to 25th Anni Prime. Which hasnt sold as well. Still see it shelf warming.

TRU reissues also did some shelf warming. better to not get yoru hopes up, bite the bullet and buy the Takara versions.

4. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just hope Wal mart follows suit and does a release for MP Grimlock. Purely for selfish reasons, as that would be the only way I'd be able to get one.

5. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually retailers have very little decision making power in what exclusives they get. Hasbro offers them exclusives based on their total volume and if they pass it moves down to the next chain on the list. I'm guessing that a Thundercracker/Skywarp is viewed as a collector only item and since so many collectors have imported them there is a limited market. Remember that one of the major draws of Starscream was that he was cartoon accurate. If he had been the same paint scheme of the Japanese release I doubt he would have sold as well.

6. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    No, Wal-Mart, Target, and TRU go to Hasbro and say that they want exclusives as promotional items. Now, Hasbro may have some pre-prepared and the retailers choose from these, but it's almost always the retailer first asking for 'an exclusive'.

There have been times where Hasbro shops an idea around, that's true. All the more expensive production costs etc are taken on by the retailer though. This has been the story as it's related to us at several BotCons.

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, this is exactly how that works. The only other thing I'll add to this is that sometimes items intended to be mass release end up as exclusives because when they are presented to the retailers only one of them ends up being interested in carrying it.

As for ILD's main question... really TC & SW are probably somewhere on Hasbro's 'to do list' and there could be many different reasons right now why they haven't. Usually we only see high dollar exclusives like that around Christmas anyways (remember, MP SS came out around Christmas the year of the first movie) and this year Hasbro flat out stated that they didn't want any new toys on the shelf that were of the high dollar variety. Probably because of the economy. Also, IMPO, we're more likely to see MP Grimlock get totted around as an exclusive next because it's much easier to sell an all new mold then it is to sell repaints of a mold people already have. Sure, collectors will buy it up, but saying that we're even 10-15% of Hasbro's sales figures is very generous IMO... and parents are not very likely to drop $50 on a repaint of a toy that their kid already has. Add to that the current world wide economical situation and you've got the reasons why we're probably not likely to see those two around anytime soon, if at all, in the US.

The only even remotely viable source for Hasbro at this time would probably be to make them HTS exclusives... but they may not even want to bog their subsidiary down with stuff like that.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I could see Thundercracker or more likely Skywarp as a SDCC/HTS exclusive, but the Takara releases have likely sated much of the appetite for these two.

9. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, I'm not going to argue with you two. I work at TRU Corporate and speak to the action figure buyer several times a day. Hasbro comes to us with exclusive offers not the other way around and it works that way for all retailers. They never accept submissions for potential ideas past "more of the same".

10. MEGAMAN X FAN

MEGAMAN X FAN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its only somewhat related but may i please see a size comparision between starscream and a deluxe

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, if that is indeed the case, then the guys at Hasbro have been lieing to us at every Botcon where 'how exclusives are decided on works' has been asked. So... one or the other is full of shit.

12. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    I'm still going to go with the info that comes directly from Arron and Greg from Hasbro over a guy you know at TRU.

Sorry.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    repaints of big expensive toys almost never sell as well as the original.

Also, Starscream was a big hit because he was the first MP starscream that actually looked like the character it was supposed to represent. MP Thundercracker and Skywarp already look like Thundercracker and Skywarp.

I'd still jump at the chance to get them for $50 though.

14. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

This clearly makes you an expert. As are the ppl who heard it from the horses mouth at Hasbro to huh. I am amazed you people think there is some set in stone way it is done law of gravity that can't be broken in the business world. Its called having business relationships. Which manufactures and retailers have. There are contacts on each side on fist name basis with email and phone numbers that talk many times a week. Who goes to who and ask what changes constantly.

15. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    My explaination pretty much covered what you said here.

:confused: 

16. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

i'll take cp's word over just about anyone on tf's my good sirs.

17. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

here you go.

[​IMG]

18. MEGAMAN X FAN

MEGAMAN X FAN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thanks but how about in robot mode ?

19. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe it's just semantics.

Maybe someone at one of the retailers asks for an exclusive by phone and then Hasbro physically goes to them with ideas and prototypes they have in the works. The people at Hasbro interpret this as the retailers come to them whereas the people at TRU intrepret this as Hasbro goes to them.

I gotta believe the truth is in the middle. Hasbro said that the reasons why the 1st and 2nd cybertron repaints were movie allspark lines was because Walmart wanted more toys associated with the movie. Given that the movie was still fresh I can't see Hasbro putting their foot down on an opportunity to make $$$.

I do believe we've strayed from the thread topic though. =P

20. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Not all Wal-Marts carried these.....:sly2: 

All of the one's by me NEVER had them!