Remember those tech specs for tf characters? Anyone ever used them when playing?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Razorclaw, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

As a kid I always wondered about the tech specs - What is their purpose?

Only years later have I come in touch with RPGs and tabletop wargames, so those tech specs suddenly made a lot of sense.

Still, I would like to know if anyone has actualy used the tech specs when recreating battles between autobots and decepticons?

What "system" are you using? How do you combine the specs when calculating the various stages of the fight?

It came to my mind that in hand-to-hand fights:

- when determining if one tf hit another, skill and speed should be calculated

- when determining if the hit breached the defence/protection, strength and skill should be calculated

- strength alone should determine the amount of damage delivered

- endurance should determine the amount of damage one tf can sustain

- courage and rank could be used to determine if a character is in panic and will run and withdraw from the fight (Starscream comes to mind ;)  )

etc.

But I don't know how to calculate movement. I mean, tfs have two modes and one speed characteristics of a certain value. Seekers with about 10 speed can't walk as fast as they fly, so using 10 as a value for speed/movement in robot mode is kinda stupid.

The same could be said about ranged combat? Firepower alone could be used to determine the damage dealt in ranged combat, but what attributes should be used when determining if someone is hit, has been damaged?

Where could inteligence come into play?

Any ideas?

Anyone willing to "broaden" this topic? It would be nice if we all had some rules with which to play "fairly" with our tfs, instead of using the age old child gametype of:

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I just cut them out and enjoyed that you could read it with that red foil over it and tried to draw some specs for myself. I was like 2nd grade or something...

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I use them during play sessions to understand my toys' abilities and personalities, but said sessions always take into account that stats are not the 'be-all-and-end-all' of war - luck and chance play an important role, and a strong character can be bested by a weaker one who gets lucky and makes the most of an opportunity.

4. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not sure if I ever did or not!!

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Now I remember. They only looked cool to me, but I never understood what they were for, because they were written in english. As a child I spoke only one language. Naturally.

6. courtdevil

courtdevil Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just regard them as part of the graphic design when I have grown up. Either in G1 cartoon or the movies, you always get surprised by someone who suddently gets much stronger.

7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I miss tech specs and the 80's craze of using the clear red plastic sheets to decipher things.

8. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    When I was a kid, I never paid attention ot them, but in the last few years when my friends and I RPG, we use them.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    They were useful if me and a pal were playing with figures and there was disagreement over which was stronger or faster. I'd always take my TF with nice high stats to my pal's so I'd win those arguements. These days though leaders tend to get (almost) all tens, which is actually kinda dull.
    Can't say I ever played a Top Trumps style game with them though. I want G1 Top Trumps cards now!

10. AMG

AMG Old School

I did read the tech specs and enjoy the extra info and abilities they had about the characters when I was a kid. But during play sessions I would follow the cartoon/movie more than anything.

11. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Me friends and I would use them to get their personalities down. Mostly we used the toon for abilities

12. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I've always wondered where the info came from, did one guy ever come out and say yea this is all cannon, for this reason and that. I remember hearing many personalities and names came from a comic writer (forget the name), as the comics came first and helped to build the franchise, but did he give the stats/numbers out too?

How do the #'s relate, Is a mini bot 10 stronger than a deluxe class 8? If Optimus has an intelligence of 10 is that only "10" in leadership and war, but he would know little of science? For me as a kid it was fun to read them but they had little effect on play, but for me I was super careful with my G1 TFs and treated them as collectibles even back then.

13. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Me and my bro and my friends used them, but only the high ones :p  If a stat was low (like a 3 in strength) we'd kinda just ignore them...

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think that making rules out of them was something my friends and I talked about a couple times, but we decided it was more fun just to play with the toys.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Maybe the tech specs would have helped when for example my Optimus Prime shot the other kids Decepticon so he could not claim that his was invincible *g*

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I read them but as far as play went it was only as far as knowing where their guns and other weapons were and could do

17. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    When I was a kid, I'd sometimes read the bios to get a feel for the characters' personalities, but I always reserved the right to overrule parts if I felt like it. As for the stats, I usually ignored them and decided who was more powerful based on the cartoon (or in the notable case of Shockwave, the comics) and how much I liked the individual characters.

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Yup, it was Bob Budiansky who wrote the characters' personalities. He probably came up with the stats, too.

19. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I think I read them but didn't care less. I let my imagination sort it out anyway.
    Now that we're collecting them, and not "playing" with them, does it matter? Would characters with higher stat's be more valuable then lower stats? I seriously doubt that plays any part in it.
    I don't even think I followed the cartoons laws. Like I said, I used my imagination.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I always loved the bios for an insight into the characters. For the G1 guys, it really brought them to life. Finback, for example, stood out to me for being a slowly rotting Decepticon kept more or less alive by his Pretender shell.

The stats I've never been as interested in, and I certainly didn't miss them on Transformers Animated where we got Galactic Powers instead.