Remember the old Clones from 1987? Should they return?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Fastlane and Cloudraker were identical robots who transformed into different vehicles while Wingspan and Pounce were identical robots who transformed into different beasts.

I was thinking that maybe they could bring this concept back, kind of, as triple changers. Two characters, one toy. The Fastlane/Cloudraker toy would be a robot with a jet and car alternate mode. Transform the robot to jet to make him Cloudraker, or to car to make him Fastlane. The identity of the robot is up to you - a flip panel showing a different alternate mode on each side would seperate the two characters.

The difference between this toy and regular triple changers is the characterisation. As a toy alone, it would pretty much be no different to any other tiple changer, other than the aforementioned flip panel.

Yes, you would have to buy two of the same toy to have the clones stood next to each other obviously but you don't have to.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Not a bad idea, but I prefer them to be separate robots.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Not really a fan of the triple changer concept unless they can get it spot on.

I'd be more than happy to see the clones return in an updated form using the original concept however.

4. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd prefer separate robots but I think Hasbro would be more inclined to do them if they can share a common mould a la Universe Sunstreaker/Sideswipe.

5. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Someone had the clever idea of repainting Astrotrain & Octane as clones for Botcon "army builder" 2-packs. They could sell 2 identical toys(like the 3 identical sweeps/sharkticons) but just include different tech specs.

That's a great way for FunPub to reuse those molds, and though I'm a fan of the clones, I don't see this method as a high priority for Hasbro to do themselves. If Hasbro would make a triplechanging mold, I'd hope they'd cover Blitzwing and Springer/Sandstorm first.

If Hasbro wanted to tackle the clone gimmick I'd think more of doing 2 little TFs in a deluxe package(a la Ice Cream twins). The 2 would look alike in robot mode but have different alt modes and maybe a combined alt-mode too. The gimmick probably isn't worth a voyager, but a deluxe toy that's 2 robots could maybe be a nice seller.

6. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I like this idea. the tripple changer idea seems tghe best route for these 1987 clone bots.

7. superpunch

superpunch Banned

clones or twins as clones wouldnt have different alt modes?

8. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think with todays engineering an amazing set of clones could be devised with very different alt modes, even the G1 toys were surprisingly clever for their simplicity.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If there were to make new triple changers I'd rather see something like Blitzwing or Springer, but it's not a bad idea. Although if it were one robot it would kind of defeat the 'clone' part of the idea.

10. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think if they indeed make triple changer toys to represent the clones, they may opt to update their bios to explain the new toy form, like when Universe 2.0 Overkill's bio explained his non-cassette form as an upgrade.

Here's an example of changing the clones' bio: "A space bridge accident melded the clones into one unit. Each clone can now only express his distinct personality when in his original altmode, but they struggle with each other to retain control of the robot mode."